hardened dies or not

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
massmanute
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

hardened dies or not

Post by massmanute »

Are Lee dies hardened or not? I am wondering about the possibility to ream the throat of a die from .311 to .358 caliber.

I should add that the diameters referenced above are the bullet diameters, not the actual throat diameters, which would be somewhat larger.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: hardened dies or not

Post by Ranch Dog »

Are you asking about a bullet sizing die? If so, Lee has told me that they are hardened. When I was in business, I had stacks of sizing dies waiting to move through the hardening process but the employes and equipment was occupied by other parts.

After JES rebored/chambered a 30-30 AI to 405 JES for me, I tried to make my own dies with the appropriate reamers but I don't remember which die set I started with. I could not do it with with a pretty good drill press so I gave up and bought the CH dies he offers. Should have done that from the start.

I had a .432 sizing die that was cutting .431". I cast up a small amount of pure lead bullets and coated them with lapping compound and pushed them through it. I would push one through, clean it, out and then send the real bullet through. It took about a dozen lapping bullets but it did a very uniform job of getting it to cut a .432" bullet. When I see one that is sizing small in the future, this is how I will dress it.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Good info RD I'll have to remember that trick. Lapping seams to work for mold too.
Je suis Charlie
massmanute

Post by massmanute »

I am interested in possibly reaming the throat of a Pacesetter full length resizing die.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

massmanute wrote:I am interested in possibly reaming the throat of a Pacesetter full length resizing die.
Like I noted, I could not do it.
Michael
massmanute

Post by massmanute »

Are the case resizing dies hardened?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

massmanute wrote:Are the case resizing dies hardened?
Yeah, I tried to cut a 38-55 Win to a 405 JES and could not do it with a heavy drill press. Once cut, they would need to be treated again.

I have had Lee make me a bunch of special order dies. They are very reasonable.
Michael
massmanute

Post by massmanute »

Ranch Dog wrote:
massmanute wrote:Are the case resizing dies hardened?
Yeah, I tried to cut a 38-55 Win to a 405 JES and could not do it with a heavy drill press. Once cut, they would need to be treated again.

I have had Lee make me a bunch of special order dies. They are very reasonable.
Thanks. I wonder if they are surfaced hardened or hardened through the body of the die.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

I guess they're they hardened, usually that's easier on those small parts. But you would have to cut one and measure to be sure
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
massmanute

Post by massmanute »

Now I am wondering if the neck of a die can be ground to a larger diameter rather than cut. I am thinking about a series of rods of increasing diameter with a slight taper at the end of each rod. I imagine the parts could be mounted on a mini lathe, and a slurry of abrasive powder could be placed on a rod. This could be used to grind the diameter of the neck to a larger diameter, and the next larger rod could be used the same way to successively enlarge the neck. The rods could be first machined to different diameters using the minilathe.

This is just another one of my hair-brained ideas.

Return to “Rifle”