Loadmaster Number 2

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Loadmaster Number 2

Post by Steve »

The most recent Loadmaster I got and named Loadmaster #2 is running so good I can't hardly believe it. Yesterday I primed some clean 40 S&W cases. Today after shooting I sat down at the loadmaster, lubed the ram with a dab of 85W synthetic gear lube, greased the crank slider with Montana X-treme gun grease. Press just cycles so smoooooth. I loaded the 400 cases I mentioned with zero Loadmaster problems, didn't take long to do it either. Was cleaned up and put away within an hour from start.

I really like these loadmaster presses, glad I didn't give them up when the primer problems started. I just prime off the press before loading and life is good. On LM#2 I didn't even try priming because the overall system I have works so well.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Loadmaster Number 2

Post by akuser47 »

Good to hear thanks for the update I always prime off press I enjoy it. Though I am a single stage loader.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice!
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

for you guys that use progressive presses and prime off press .... at what point do you de-prime? Do you use a universal de-primer "off press" and then prime, or do you re-size/de-prime "off press", then prime?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I always size and deprime my brass and then clean it and prime it. Then it is ready for me to go through my slow and steady process.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve

Post by Steve »

mr surveyor wrote:for you guys that use progressive presses and prime off press .... at what point do you de-prime? Do you use a universal de-primer "off press" and then prime, or do you re-size/de-prime "off press", then prime?
Thats a good question. The following is the poceedure I use.
1. Clean the brass.
2. Deprime with a Lee Universal decaping die on the Loadmaster in the shop (LM#1) so I can use the case feed. For just decapping it is really fast.
3. Prime the brass while watching the news until they lie about something, so 30 seconds after starting I tune in the military channel and complete priming and inspecting the brass.
4. Load pistol cases on LM#2. Station 1 is sizing die with decaping pin removed. I plan on continuing to load rifle on LM#1. Rifle also gets FL sized on a single stage press in the shop before going to LM#1.

I like using the progressive press because feeding it primed brass alows me to just mosey along at a relaxing easy pace and I still get a lot done. Without watching and checking primers all I have to do is make sure I don't run out of powder, and check demensions every 50 to a 100 rounds. Most of the time I shoot a lot of pistol so I like to load a lot without it being work.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Thanks

Exactly as I imagined.

We seem to have the same "TV" habits also. ;)

Even though I single stage, I use the universal deprimer first so I can dump them into my antique ultrasonic cleaner. Depriming seems to give better "flow through" in the u/s cleaner and they tend to dry faster. I've thought about pulling the decapping pins out of all my sizing dies, but after cleaning/drying I run them all through the sizing die and expander before priming. Slow.....

Still toying with the idea of either 4 hole turret or progressive, but I'd still probably follow your procedure.

JD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I ordered a seperate 3-hole turret for my pro1000, were only the universal decapping die will be used. So I'm going to deprime using the convenient case feeding system of the press, and clean the brass afterwards.

Then it will go through the normal process of progressive reloading, except the first station will only size, not deprime.

Just for double safety, I'll leave the decapping pin inserted, anyway.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

mr surveyor wrote:for you guys that use progressive presses and prime off press .... at what point do you de-prime? Do you use a universal de-primer "off press" and then prime, or do you re-size/de-prime "off press", then prime?
Well, I wash my brass first in Citric acid with a little lemon shine an a half lb of still tumbling media in a plastic jug. for about 20 minuets. Shaking an rolling it around every few minuets. Sorry I don't have a wet tumbler yet. Then rinse it and put in in the oven for about an hour to dry. Then the fun starts, I load up the case loader on my 5 hole loadmaster and start depriming in station 1, with no primers in station 2,
and I remove the cases when it reaches station 3. 100 45 acp cases in about 6 minuets. I then use my
primer case tool to clean out the primer holes and check the cases over for damage. Then I throw them in my Frankford Arsenal tumbler for about 10 hours to finish the process. Then load time. I load up the case
loader, Load up the primers in station 2, load up the Lee pro Auto-disk powder measure in station 3, I Check to make sure its throwing the rite charge. Station 4 is the bullet seating die, I check the OAL here
to make sure the OAL is correct, Then station 5 is my Factory Crimp die, I make sure my crimp is set for .471 here. Then I start pulling the handle and placing a bullet on top of the case in station 4 and in less than 10 minuets I have 100 rounds of 45 ACP ready to go. <LOL> I guess the answer to your question is yes, I do deprime on press and prime on press just not at the same time. I don't like to put dirty brass in my loadmaster. If I had another press, a single stage I would probably deprime on it first, but it would take a long time. I like my set up and it works for me, and that is what is important. This press is new and works great. I learned a lot in a short period of time with it. I gonna shut know. Have fun, and god bless.

+zzz
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

If you used a turret with a universal depriming die only, you'd be even more comfortable. That's how I do it on my pro1000.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “Progressive”