Lee molds simply work.

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
Missionary
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Lee molds simply work.

Post by Missionary »

greeting
Been casting with Lee Molds ever since I first bought one. I was a bit leery of an aluminum mold but then remembered the NEI company had been making molds from that "white" metal successfully.
My first back about 1982 was a 2 cavity 220 grain round nose .452 for a 1911. Worked so well I bought another but in 200 grains. Then a 185 SWC in .452 and from there the family grew rapidly.
Have two .358 molds down here with me to feed some revolvers. They get sized in a Lee sizer slightly opened to .360. Get loaded on a Lee single stage through dies from a red round container. I guess I am by now a confident customer.
Mike in Peru
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Lee molds simply work.

Post by 44-40 Willy »

The only molds I've ever owned were Lee. My uncle that loads uses Lyman, but it seems like he has to go through a lot of bother with those.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sure enough do. All I have ever used and boy do I have a bunch of them!
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I showed a buddy of mine how to cast today. He had seen it done but had never done it himself. I used a two cavity Lee mold since they are so painfully easy to use. He only cast a few dozen but he was shocked at having to return so few rejects to the pot since the last time he saw it done the guy culled half his bullets. The aluminum heats up fast, is easy to polish if it's ever needed, a simple butane lighter smoking works if needed, and you just can't beat the cost vs. the results. My only complaint is I wish they had a bigger selection and a dedicated list of nose punches for those of us that sometimes want to use a lube/sizer press. But that's a pretty weak complaint when they work so well.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Steelbanger »

Of all the money I have spent on Lee products, most has gone toward the purchase of Lee moulds.

I spoke with Richard Lee one time about making me a plain base for his 270 bullet. What he suggested was to take my present mould and have the blocks milled until the gas check shank was removed. Since we had machinists at work and they were always eager to engage in "government work" I took Richard's advice and was the proud owner of a 100 gr. 270 bullet, accurate as could be, that I used in my 270 Ren Contender for years. Over the years I put close to 15,000 of those bullets through the 10" barrel before I sold it at a match one day. And all cast from that single cavity Lee.

These days most of my Lee moulds are the 6 cavity type and what has happened is that my RCBS, Lyman, and Saeco moulds and a few others are neglected but stand ready to be used again.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I have a fair share of lee old style Molds, and recently have bought several of the new 2 taper pin alignment in 44 and 45 auto. I haven't used them yet, but they don't seem to want to close up properly. To rectify it, just turn it over and they close up easily. I guess the sprue plate is enough imbalance to make it difficult to mate up, but when upside down they just fall together.
A great thing about the aluminum mold is it doesn't rust. The lyman is like a sponge to rust.
graphic914
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by graphic914 »

lee molds are great, and yo can not beat the price. The only problem I have found is the get hot very fast
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

graphic914 wrote:lee molds are great, and yo can not beat the price. The only problem I have found is the get hot very fast
I agree. But to work around that I've started to cast with two molds at a time. I fill one, set it to the side, fill the next one, set it to the side, pick up the first and empty it and refill it, and so on. I have two buckets to water drop everything so I don't have to sort them out. I find that works very well.
Gnslgr

Post by Gnslgr »

I have done the same with multiple 6 banger moulds - works great ! the big 6 banger 45's really heat up !
I actually bought a second 200g 45 mould , and was running 2 200g x6 and one 250g 6 banger with the rotation you use, Really churns out some slugs in a hurry !
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Had it not been for the Lee moulds I likely would not be as active a caster as I am. I do have a couple of Lyman round ball moulds,a couple of NOEs ,and a couple of RCBS, but I have a dozen Lee moulds . There is no way I'd trade away my 27-130 FN RCBS and the 287-150 NOE has a work curve and is a little quirky but is a perfect match for the rifles its used in. The 401-175SWC,358-125rnfn ,356-125 rn ,00B 6 bangers are definately keepers too. They have allowed me to try weights and styles that I may not have otherwise wise been able to.

They also don't seem to be as fussy as some of the other moulds . Too bad there aren't rifle cal 6c 's available.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”