bismuth

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
mt_sourdough
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: bismuth

Post by mt_sourdough »

mr surveyor wrote:if it seemed plausible, is there any particular element that would alloy with bismuth to harden it?

Knowing my luck, if I were in the position of having to make bismuth work in casting, the only metals that would have the proper atomic properties to alloy would be things like platinum or uranium .... you know, the ones that are cheap and readily available :lol:

Sounds like you know more about bismuth than I do. All I know is the alloy from Rotometals is 7% tin. I do not think that the aim would be to harden it so much as to make it more ductile. But I do not know much yet except I have some bismuth bullets that just had their second dip and when they dry I am going to put one in a case of 47 grains of H4198 and see what happens. +corn
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

nope, I don't know bismuth from bicarbonate of soda. Slept through high school chemistry and barely finished basic college chemistry awake. I'm not a caster myself but know just enough to have a lot of sympathy for you guys that are having to go to extreme measures to work with what seems to be less than desirable alternatives.

It just seems that the older I get, the more questions I have, and the less apprehensive I am about asking. :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
mt_sourdough

Post by mt_sourdough »

According to my Lee Hardness testing kit, the hardness appears to be around 14bhn. That's softer than I thought it would be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

mt_sourdough wrote:According to my Lee Hardness testing kit, the hardness appears to be around 14bhn. That's softer than I thought it would be.
Just speculating here but that isn't going to get you much past 25.0K PSI I think.
Michael
mt_sourdough

Post by mt_sourdough »

Ranch Dog wrote:
mt_sourdough wrote:According to my Lee Hardness testing kit, the hardness appears to be around 14bhn. That's softer than I thought it would be.
Just speculating here but that isn't going to get you much past 25.0K PSI I think.
Yikes. I sure hope it does better than that. This is air cooled, but I am not sure what water quenching would do. A lot to learn for sure.
mt_sourdough

Post by mt_sourdough »

Here is my 4th test of bismuth alloy bullets and, again, I did not recover the slug as it deflected up and bounced off the top of the third jug. Alloy in this test was 85/15. The bullet stayed together in the bore, but shattered on impact. Velocity is around 150fps faster than the same bullet/ powder charge. So we lose weight but gain velocity and it just about equals out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3MO-m0 ... mhQQbiNj2Q
mt_sourdough

Post by mt_sourdough »

I thought I'd return and update the progress that I have made with the Bismuth/tin alloy tests.
To begin, the alloy from Rotometals in 93% bismuth and 7% tin. I tested a few times with that alloy mix and determined that the bullet was shattering in the bore. This explains the odd recorded velocities with the early tests. My biggest evidence to support this, early on, was the evidence left with the jugs. Studying the impact point of jug one, I can clearly identify multiple impacts.
Realizing that we were a far distance from where we want to git with this here alloy, so I upped the level of tin to 15%. I tested the 15%tin alloy and things still seemed to be much of the same. I ran one high velocity test and one Trail Boss test. At 15%, I still hadn't recovered a %@*&$ slug. NOT ONE! Yikes.
So, I didn't waste much time till I raised the tin percentage to 18%. I again tested a high and low velocity test, but this time, I recovered the first slug from these tests. The Trail Boss load recorded a velocity of 1366fps and the bullet was recovered in the 7th jug, having punched a hole through to the 8th.
As you can see in the pic, I raised the tin level to 21%. With my wheel weight alloy, the RD432-240 naked bullet weight is right around 242gr. With 21% tin/79% bismuth, the naked bullet weight is just over 200gr.
I failed to recover the slug from the high velocity test, but after cleaning up an scouring the ground, I found this.
That is a pic of a fragment from the base of the bullet. The fragment shows the base edge that I file to make it easier to get the gas check on. This means, that the bullet is shattering on impact with the high velocity tests.
So my next move is to raise the tin level to 25% and test again.
There are more tidbits I have learned about bismuth along the way, but this is too long already.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

It seems like your making good head way and getting close to a useable alloy.

There is a guy that makes plainbase gascheck makers on castboolits. That may help you w/the checks.

A 200 gr bullet at 1300+ is nothing to sneeze at but I can see your point about the weight loss.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very interesting, hang in there, love the reports!
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

If this is just for the sake of lead free you might also do a web search for "zinc bullets" as I'm pretty sure a few years ago I read some guys were trying it. I think some of them were getting some decent results.

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”