warm day

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

warm day

Post by Steve »

Finally.... Temp hit 60 today. Went to the range to burn up some lead. Stranger was waiting for someone to unlock. I shot some and helped him with his shooting. Then found out he is signed up for my Iowa carry class weekend after next. Guess if it's freezing out again by then he has his range time taken care of, when class is over I can sign off for him.

He can shoot pretty good, safe gun hadeling, had a little limp wristing tendency but I think he had that well under control by the time we quit.

I wasn't satisfied with my shooting, couple thousand more rounds and I'll have the nack again.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: warm day

Post by Ranch Dog »

Glad you finally had the conditions to go outdoors and shoot. That's got'ta be tough or at least I know I would have a tough time not shooting..
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

That is what is funny some think beens they could do it two years ago then they always can. Muscle memory very important. to practice as much as possible to be compitent with whatever you do.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve

Post by Steve »

akuser47 wrote:That is what is funny some think beens they could do it two years ago then they always can. Muscle memory very important. to practice as much as possible to be compitent with whatever you do.
Your right there. Practice, practice, practice. A few times through each winter, and summer I practice pistol presentation and use while seated in the vehicle. plus I get some other practice on steel plates. But I need at least one good practice session a week or I start loosing the edge of where I want to be. Twice a week is perfect, that’s generally 600 rounds for me.

I have had people tell me they would take my class but not go to the range because Iowa law doesn’t require it. So I told them to take a class somewhere else. There are some classes around here that only last 2 hours. Mine are all day and that is not enough. Some of those 2 hour class people have shown up to take my class because they want to learn something.

And on the other hand I believe strongly in the 2nd amendment. But still training is good.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Steve wrote:
akuser47 wrote:That is what is funny some think beens they could do it two years ago then they always can. Muscle memory very important. to practice as much as possible to be compitent with whatever you do.
Your right there. Practice, practice, practice. A few times through each winter, and summer I practice pistol presentation and use while seated in the vehicle. plus I get some other practice on steel plates. But I need at least one good practice session a week or I start loosing the edge of where I want to be. Twice a week is perfect, that’s generally 600 rounds for me.

I have had people tell me they would take my class but not go to the range because Iowa law doesn’t require it. So I told them to take a class somewhere else. There are some classes around here that only last 2 hours. Mine are all day and that is not enough. Some of those 2 hour class people have shown up to take my class because they want to learn something.

And on the other hand I believe strongly in the 2nd amendment. But still training is good.
Yep I also think states need to adjust the courses to what your defensive laws reqiure. Like Florida has stand your ground most states you can only use deadly force if you can prove no option for retreat. Our course had us shooting and moving and got me into the tactical pistol courses on how to acqiure and stay on your target during retreat to safe point or E&E with sweeping rearwars steps keeping our gun and eyes on target and still hitting target. with no flier shots as then potential innocent bystander. It all def. needs a little more work I am glad guns n ccw is bigger now. I just don't want some couch commando going after someoone that jaywalks lol or injuring an innocent when the perp would probably get away.. Good info for sure
Steve

Post by Steve »

akuser47 wrote: Yep I also think states need to adjust the courses to what your defensive laws reqiure. Like Florida has stand your ground most states you can only use deadly force if you can prove no option for retreat. Our course had us shooting and moving and got me into the tactical pistol courses on how to acqiure and stay on your target during retreat to safe point or E&E with sweeping rearwars steps keeping our gun and eyes on target and still hitting target. with no flier shots as then potential innocent bystander. It all def. needs a little more work I am glad guns n ccw is bigger now. I just don't want some couch commando going after someoone that jaywalks lol or injuring an innocent when the perp would probably get away.. Good info for sure
The exercises you mention, and variances of them are sure fun. I think part of what keeps a lot of the people away is the amount of ammo they have to go through to gain some proficiency. Now I want to get back out there but they are talking 3 to 5 inches of snow tonight. Wish this winter would go away.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I feel ya almost all our snow has finally melted but my range is underwater from the melt water. :x and then this new sytem is coming with a possible 6 to 10 inches more of snow I hope not I mean it is currently 46 degrees outside. Yety tonight rain is to turn to mix then snow we are under winter weather advisary right now :( friday will melt it again. I just do alot of dry fire drills working on drawing target aq. trigger control, and mag changes.
Steve

Post by Steve »

While walking on the tread mill, when my wife isn't home I practice aiming at things on the wall. I can see the movement easier by useing the laser on my M&P. It has helped my moving and shooting, I could tell that when I got out as mentioned above.

It's tough aiming while walking on the tread mill. I can hold resonably well at 2.4 mph by the tread mill odometer. Really it works your tail off trying to slightly crouch and aim at that rate.

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”