Finishing off loaded cases.

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
drone
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Finishing off loaded cases.

Post by drone »

I've just started using my lee neck only die with the decap pin removed to lightly resize the necks of my loaded cases, both 30/30 and 308 ( the die fits both) Cast boolits only btw!
It squeezes the neck by about 0.001".
Anyone tried this before? The reason I'm doing it is I'm using the Lee breechlock hand reloading tool and because of problems with my wrists I can't get a real squeeze on the Lee factory crimp.
Do you ever walk in a room and wonder why you're there?
Welcome to my world :oops:
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Finishing off loaded cases.

Post by RBHarter »

I do but with a completely different set of reasons.
I use a 6.5-257 AI for cast in a 25-06' and an 8×57 for 7.7 Japanese. I only need to get the necks down to.258 for the 25-06' from .260 and the 7.7 takes a .318 bullet making it in effect an 8×57J .

I would expect you to get leading as you're almost certainly sizing the cast bullets in the case unless you're stopping with just a heavy crimp effect.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
drone

Post by drone »

Very Light squeeze.We'll see what happens this weekend with a bit of luck and fine weather.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

All of my loaded 44-40 go through a sizing die again as the last step. I found this greatly improves feeding.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
drone

Post by drone »

Thinking about it, RBH, the process is very similar to the lee carbide factory crimp which effectively gives the case a full resize.
I have to be honest and was concerned that it might squeeze the boolits down below the magic 308 but reflecting on my first sentence I'm not too worried.
In my first post I put cast bullets only, forgetting that I'd loaded up about 100 federal cases with 165 grn speer btsp and I neck sized those as well.
I've just gas checked a 150 of the 165 grn fp cast boolits that are plain based,I use them in both 30/30 and 308 with a dose of RL7 in 30/30 and 2400in the 308. They are sooooo accurate in the 308 at about 1900 - 2000 fps and are really pleasant to shoot,the 30/30 being lighter lets you know when they exit the barrel.
This weekend it's the short range for me and I'll use it to finalise sighting the scopes in on both rifles.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

A bit late to this thread but WTH. I don't use a hand press but do have and use the Lee Collet crimp die with ALL rifle rounds I load for. I crimp everything I load for. With the collet crimp die the "collets" don't have to completely close to make a good crimp. When you run a loaded round into the die watch the "fingers" as they start to close, halfway or a bit more is all you need for a solid crimp, it takes little effort to do this. Perhaps you're trying to squeeze them (collets) to tight.
drone

Post by drone »

Horseman, neigh (pardon the pun)tis the nerves in my arms are trapped and the strength of my wrists has been sapped y operating for 80 years.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”