random auto drum issue

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
DeepSpace
My Press Choice: Progressive

random auto drum issue

Post by DeepSpace »

I have over 15,000 rounds through my auto drumwith no pproblems, but about a month ago it suddenly randomly quit returning for a recharge. Would turn about 50%. Lee told me it was to tight. I did as they said but nothing changed so I bought a new one. Same thing. Sent the press back and they replaced clutches and other parts without charge. I just tried and same thing. Adter 25 rounds it became a every other round. Suggestions?
Details: Lee 4000 press, 9mm, zip powder. +zzz
DeepSpace

Re: random auto drum issue

Post by DeepSpace »

Another observations. When going through the expading/charge stroke so slowly that one hears the spring creak you notice the drom starts to rotate almost immediately when the shell comes in contact but randomly the drum doesn't begin to rotate until about 30% of the way through the stroke, when this happens you get the non recharge.Whether single shell or all stations are full. I did 100 .357 today and didn't happen. Die issues?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

DeepSpace wrote: 15 Mar 2024 11:48Die issues?
It could be. Try cleaning the die barrel and PTE plug. You can use any solvent/oil, but I go back with denatured alcohol to remove it. I use powdered graphite to slick things up. Actually, after it is clean, you could put the barrel and plug in a container with the powder in use and swirl it around for a minute or so. It would accomplish the same end.
Michael
DeepSpace

Post by DeepSpace »

Thanks for the reply. Meticulously cleaned and lubed, got 4 rounds then the same thing. I stare at the pieces and it doesn't make sense to me but I will have a new die tomorrow. 2 drums same thing common denominator the die. But it's so simple in its it's design.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I understand. The stuff that can drive you crazy.
Michael
DeepSpace

Post by DeepSpace »

FYI. New die didn't help. Random to at times every other powder drop. Lee says the drum is to tight but if one is leaking a ted bit of powder based on them insisting drum is to tight, I don't think so.
A real head scratcher.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Oh boy...
Michael
DeepSpace

Post by DeepSpace »

Really this is embarrassing. After stepping back and thinking, I went back to the box with which these cases came from. I don't collect brass, ever. But 2 years ago my wife and I were shooting at a pit that had a lot of brass lying around. Pandemic, no powder, primers. You all know what happened. Brass is next. We inadvertently picked up 11 .380 shells. I polished and primed as a block, tossing in date. I suddenly realized we had picked up brass and upon inspection found 11 .380 acp shells. The random became more concentrated as I kept going thru and tossing the .380 back into the box of ones passing 9mm standard.
My dad told me not to pick up brass.
DeepSpace

Post by DeepSpace »

Really this is embarrassing. After stepping back and thinking, I went back to the box with which these cases came from. I don't collect brass, ever. But 2 years ago my wife and I were shooting at a pit that had a lot of brass lying around. Pandemic, no powder, primers. You all know what happened. Brass is next. We inadvertently picked up 11 .380 shells. I polished and primed as a block, tossing in date. I suddenly realized we had picked up brass and upon inspection found 11 .380 acp shells. The random became more concentrated as I kept going thru and tossing the .380 back into the box of ones passing 9mm standard.
My dad told me not to pick up brass.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Short cases will throw off die settings .
s
Nothing wrong with pick up brass as long as it gets inspected. The beauty of pick ups is that if you pick up 500 and toss 200 of them for being "Glocked" , stretched , or otherwise icky you still have 300 good cases . Stuff like 7mm RM with a short neck and round shoulders comes to mind as a quick toss.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”