Six Pack Pro question- for those that are currently using one

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
BrianT
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Six Pack Pro question- for those that are currently using one

Post by BrianT »

Hello,

Is the primer seating depth adjustable on the Six Pack Pro? If not, have any of you gotten any primer seated depth measurements from loaded cases, yet?
I ask because the new Lee Deluxe App, for priming cases, (not the ACP), is not adjustable, and according to Lee, it will seat the primer anywhere between flush and -.008", and I don't care much for having my primers seated flush, at least for my semi-autos.
Thanks
Brian
Bill Moore

Re: Six Pack Pro question- for those that are currently using one

Post by Bill Moore »

It's not adjustable, except for how hard you push the lever! I'm under 2K rounds with mine, and I run my finger over the cartridges after I box them. Only a couple were high enough to fight installing into the hand primer, but I did reseat maybe 10!
BrianT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BrianT »

Thanks Bill! I've also emailed Lee with this question, so we'll see what they say. I hope it isn't the flush to -.008" response...
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

BrianT, for years I shot revolver, loading with a Lee 1000, and then a LoadMaster, it was standard procedure to hand reseat the primers, (even Federal), after loading!
I've been shooting a G34 for a while now, with a Double Diamond connector, and a 4# striker spring, a high primer will still fail to fire the first time!
BrianT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BrianT »

I've got my Loadmaster adjusted so I get a pretty consistent -003"--005" primer seating depth, which is what I like for my ARs, and my Lee Auto Bench Prime is pretty close to that.
Lee responded, and just like with their Pro 4000 and the new Deluxe App Primer press, they are quoting the SAAMI standard of 0.000" (flush) to-0.008". I don't agree with this, but it gives them a wide tolerance to engineer to. They don't have to be very precise, seems to be the way they like it.
If I get the Six Pack Pro, like you, I will just have the added step of checking and reseating some of the primers, correctly.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Not sure I expect a fully equipped progressive with dies for well under $400 to come with a primer system adjustable to tighter than .008" tolerance.

I have never once even measured primer seating depth.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
BrianT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BrianT »

Maybe tolerance wasn't the correct word, and we all have our own reloading procedures, what I don't like is flush primers and semi-auto weapons.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

I guess I'll have to check some of my reloads to actually put a number to the primer depth.
I do know if the primer is fully seated, revolvers and striker fired pistols with "improved" trigger pulls have a better chance of firing, and not just finish seating the primer.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

I always check (not each round) primer seating depth. I look for 3 to 5 thou. especially on my rifle rounds. If you just have to be below flush consistently you'll have to uniform pockets, or at least clean them and cleaning may not do it. I have some 45acp loads that vary between flush and 5 thou. pretty normal for loading on LCCT, but I didn't prep the pockets on that brass other than cleaning the brass. All rifle cases I reload I do uniform pockets and any "hot" pistol rounds I load. Difference or not, don't really know but it makes me feel better.

Edit: I was curious about this so just went in and checked 50 rounds of 45acp I loaded about a week ago on my LCCT press. Most were 2 to 4 thou. in depth but did find 5 or so that were just flush (.00). pulled them down did a quick primer pocket ream and reseated the primers to 3 to 4 thou. Guess I need to be more cognizant of that from now on. I don't like them just flush either.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

May I ask why you are not satisfied with flush primers?

While sorting my fresh loads into boxes, I check each and every primer with my finger to be at least flush. But they are considered good when flush, too. Just not protruding. I never had any problems with rounds not going off. Most of my guns are revolvers and lever rifles, but I also have two 1911s. The cowboy guns have drastically reduced main springs. All go off on the first strike, with the primer flush or seated deeply.

Is there anything I didn't see? Why is just flush not considered sufficient?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “Progressive”