Six Pack Pro question- for those that are currently using one

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
BrianT
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Six Pack Pro question- for those that are currently using one

Post by BrianT »

Fyodor, I shoot a lot of different ARs, and don't feel comfortable with flush primers, due to the floating firing pin. Sometimes, not often, you can just let the gun go into battery, eject the round, and see a small spot where the firing pin hit the primer.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Fyodor wrote: 18 Jan 2024 03:24 May I ask why you are not satisfied with flush primers?

While sorting my fresh loads into boxes, I check each and every primer with my finger to be at least flush. But they are considered good when flush, too. Just not protruding. I never had any problems with rounds not going off. Most of my guns are revolvers and lever rifles, but I also have two 1911s. The cowboy guns have drastically reduced main springs. All go off on the first strike, with the primer flush or seated deeply.

Is there anything I didn't see? Why is just flush not considered sufficient?
Same here. And I never trim pistol brass either.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

I have had "slamFires" in my AR's when I first started loading them, I was buying all Federal primers then. A friend advised to switch to a "harder" primer, and gave me some CCI's, at the next CMP match I had no surprises!
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

@BrianT:
I don't think a few thousands would make much of a difference.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Fyodor wrote: 18 Jan 2024 03:24 May I ask why you are not satisfied with flush primers?

While sorting my fresh loads into boxes, I check each and every primer with my finger to be at least flush. But they are considered good when flush, too. Just not protruding. I never had any problems with rounds not going off. Most of my guns are revolvers and lever rifles, but I also have two 1911s. The cowboy guns have drastically reduced main springs. All go off on the first strike, with the primer flush or seated deeply.

Is there anything I didn't see? Why is just flush not considered sufficient?

I do exactly as you do, run my fingers across the tops to make sure none are protruding. You can't really "feel" a 2 thousandth seating depth but I'll bet if you measure them as you seat your primers you'll find most all of them will be 2 or more thousandth deep. Perceived safety perhaps, but I've also read that primer seating depth should be from 2 thou all the way up to 8. A lot of information and opinions on that amount though. That pertains mostly to rifle reloading that I've read about. It can be a "hot" topic debate for sure. But that's just my preference and like you I've not had any misfires due to a flush primer If in fact I had primers that were "flush" seated because I don't check them all for sure. The 45acp rounds I did find that were just flush (0.00) probably would have fired just fine but the "perceived safety" with an auto loader reared it's ugly head for me. :D

Return to “Progressive”