lee 6000 indexing problem

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
BillS
My Press Choice: Progressive

lee 6000 indexing problem

Post by BillS »

I'm having an indexing problem with my Lee 6000 press.
I' loading 44 mag using the lee dies. Intermitantly, the lip of the case will catch on the die mouth on the up stroke. It's only off by a tiny bit, not a half turn or anything like that. The only thing that I can see controling the shellplate position at the top of the stroke is the flat rod that runs through the center of the shellplate. I have tried tweeking the twist of the rod with some small improvement, but it's not perfect. I see there are two different twist rods . I only plan an loading the 44mag on this press. Is one rod better than the other for straight side cases?
Anyone who has delt with this and has some input , your reply is welcome!

Thanks
BillS
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: lee 6000 indexing problem

Post by Fyodor »

Are you sure it is tangentially misaligned? I have a similar problem with my old style pro1000, expecially with revolver cartridges. But there I found it to be a radial misalignment. It seems to happen with some cases, when the rim is a bit on the large or thick side of the tolerance. They sometimes don't fully slide into the shellplate.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
BillS

Post by BillS »

I'm not a geometry guy, but the brass is all the way in the pockets. I have the shell holders adjusted all the way in.
Royce
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Royce »

I have a similar issue with my newly purchased Lee 6 Pack Reloading Press. Mine is new, I purchased the kit with shell holders extra and no dies because I already have Lee dies in every imaginable pistol caliber. I am going to try again tomorrow. Ran out of patience today. Maybe I am just doing something wrong.
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Fyodor wrote: 16 Dec 2023 13:16 Are you sure it is tangentially misaligned? I have a similar problem with my old style pro1000, expecially with revolver cartridges. But there I found it to be a radial misalignment. It seems to happen with some cases, when the rim is a bit on the large or thick side of the tolerance. They sometimes don't fully slide into the shellplate.
Yup, same here with an old 1000..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Royce
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Royce »

The thing is if you have a timing issue on a Lee 1000 you can turn the allen screw and fix it. So far as I know the six pack Pro does not have that feature.
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret

Return to “Progressive”