Priming with Lee Classic Loader 9mm

The little red box that started it all!
Magnum0710
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Priming with Lee Classic Loader 9mm

Post by Magnum0710 »

Hey guys,
I wanted to get some advice and opinions on an issue I'm having. I've been reloading with a vintage 38 special Lee Loader and so far it's worked out great. I've added and replaced parts as needed, I even got a replacement 38/357 body die and also got a 9mm die. Aside from the die and Decap Chamber all the tools are the same between the two kits so it was cheaper to just add a 9mm die.
Anyway I went to range yesterday to try out some new loads I worked up and had 3 or 4 rounds that did not want to fire. My Taurus G3C has restrike capability so I tried pulling the trigger a couple times on each one and they still didn't go off. I racked the slide and kept going but afterwards I tried the dud rounds again. They all went off after being rechambered for some reason.
I've had this happen with some 357 rounds I rushed through but those all went off on the second strike, I've been making sure that I've seated the primers fully and it hasn't been an issue since with my revolver rounds.
The priming chamber is one of the original vintage tools, I'm wondering if maybe I need a new one or if I should invest in a hand priming tool? I made sure all the primers were just below flush and I've never had an issue with this particular gun and even my initial 9mm loads ran 100%. I've noticed that the primer pockets on 9mm cases are deeper than 38 and 357 cases. Maybe the vintage tool just can't get the primers deep enough in the 9mm cases?
I might try and clean out the firing pin channel before I go to the range again and see if that helps but I really dont think it's the gun. Never had an issue with factory ammo and my initial reloads didn't have this issue so I'm not sure what the problem is?
Maybe I need to tap harder when seating the primers? Rushing through a batch of reloads I've had a couple primers go off on accident so I've been really gentle when seating primers since then. Even still if they're just below flush they should be good right? I was using Winchester small pistol which I've never had an issue with before either. My initial reloads were remington 1 1/2 but I switched when I found out they're not recommended for 9mm.
I'm completely stumped on this one. The only thing I can think is they're not getting deep enough since the 9mm pockets are deeper.
If it helps the cases are not in the die when I prime them, I do everything in batches and I size cases before I clean them so it's easier to just leave the cases out of the die when priming. I know it's not the recommended way in the instructions but it's never been an issue and I've seen others do this too. Maybe if I prime while the case is in the die the weight of the die will help seat them further? I just worry that my case lube might mess up the primers which is why I size then clean and then prime.
What do you guys think?
Bill Moore
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Priming with Lee Classic Loader 9mm

Post by Bill Moore »

Years ago I started shooting USPSA, using a revolver, fortunately, I had more experienced friends for advice. I had lightened he trigger pull and was getting light strikes, the first strike would move the high primer and not fire. The next strike would fire it! The solution was Federal primers, (they are softer), and hand seating primers after loading. I still check my ammo after loading, and hand seat any that I can feel running my finger over the base.
A friend who loads commercially has a block that holds 100 rounds with factory spec dimensions, it not only alerts him to outsize cases, but running his finger over the base indicates a high primer.
Magnum0710

Post by Magnum0710 »

Bill Moore wrote: 15 Dec 2023 08:38 Years ago I started shooting USPSA, using a revolver, fortunately, I had more experienced friends for advice. I had lightened he trigger pull and was getting light strikes, the first strike would move the high primer and not fire. The next strike would fire it! The solution was Federal primers, (they are softer), and hand seating primers after loading. I still check my ammo after loading, and hand seat any that I can feel running my finger over the base.
A friend who loads commercially has a block that holds 100 rounds with factory spec dimensions, it not only alerts him to outsize cases, but running his finger over the base indicates a high primer.
I has considered using Federal primers exclusively for 9mm but I have a whole brick of Winchesters I need to use up. I'm probably just going to have to move up to a press or at the very least a hand priming tool. I contacted Lee support and the tech recommended one of the two options.
Ever since I've been careful and making sure the primers are below flush I haven't had any issues with my revolver loads. I really think it's because the primer pocket is deeper in 9mm cases and the Lee Loader can only push the primer so far. The primers aren't necessarily high they're below flush but I don't think they're going deep enough.
I still have some load development to do so I'm going to try tapping them in harder. If that doesn't work I'll only load 9mm for range use until I get a press or priming tool.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have experienced the issues that arise from seating primers high (proud of the brass) but never no-go's from "shallow" primers that are below flush. Most gun malfunctions are pretty sudden. I'd look there or possibly contact the primer manufacturer to see if your lot number is known as duds.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Magnum0710

Post by Magnum0710 »

GasGuzzler wrote: 16 Dec 2023 06:20 I have experienced the issues that arise from seating primers high (proud of the brass) but never no-go's from "shallow" primers that are below flush. Most gun malfunctions are pretty sudden. I'd look there or possibly contact the primer manufacturer to see if your lot number is known as duds.
Perhaps that could be the issue, I have one pack left from that particular lot. I'll have to see if the new brick I have is from the same lot. What's weird is there were no issues with the same primers in my revolver loads. I've also never had an issue with the gun before either.
Maybe I should take the slide apart and clean the firing pin channel? My initial 9mm loads were worked up using Remington 1 1/2 primers. I didn't know they weren't recommended for 9mm and higher pressure cartridges so maybe I got primer material in there?
The primers could have been seated high and I just didn't realize it, I usually look at each one and verify it's below flush but I usually don't feel for it. I still have load development to do so I'm going to pay close attention to the primer depth and see if it happens again.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

High primers aren't your problem.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Lee Loader®”