Press lubrication

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Press lubrication

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Steve wrote:
Maximumbob54 wrote:I have to clean the press ram often enough that I don't really want oil film build up on it. It always seems like there is just that little bit of powder, residue, or primer crud sticking to everything. I don't want over the years for the ram to scour the press body and get sloppy in fit so I just clean everything all the time.
Do you use the press with the ram dry?
Heavens no, I just wipe it down after each use and I'm always shocked by the amount of black gunk and bits I clean off it. Then I wipe everything down with Eezox to prevent rust.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

With the liqiud wrench dry lube. I use my shop vac to suck up the crude no worries I have a good filter to help with lead dust but I am sure I would fail a heavy metal blood test. LoL keep us posted to ur results.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
bwell
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by bwell »

Im going to give that liquid wrench a shot, thanks for the tip.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

FWIW.
I asked RCBS a few yr ago what their recomended press/ram lube ,all my gear except a Partner I've had 20 yr. The answer is Lubriplate. Because I live in a blow sand desert I stick w/light machine oil and wipe it down when I'm done and wash them every 3rd or 4th run w/WD-40. The new to me LM for now is bagged up every time so the ''singer oil'' is ok for now.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

akuser47 wrote:With the liqiud wrench dry lube. I use my shop vac to suck up the crude no worries I have a goid filter to help with lead dust but i am sure i would fail a heavy metal blood test. LoL keep us posted to ur results.
I haven't been able to find the Liquid Wrench Dry Lube to give it a try yet. I want to give it a try on the ram. May I ask roughly how many rounds you run on it after lubing it?

The synthetic gear lube has been good for a couple thousand rounds and still a good film on the ram when I wipe it down at the end of the day.

I'm making preps to setup another Loadmaster in my computer room so I want to keep it as clean as possable If dry lube wiil work with little mess I'm all game to give it a try.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Any autoparts store should have it. I am in no way a high volume loader on my single stage but when full length.sizing brass for acfew friends i help out. Between them and me in one session i have cycled my press 50 rounds each for three friends an average of 3 press strokes per round durin the process of loading a long session is 450 cycles if my press. I load probly close to 3000 maybe 5000 at timesa year. Slowly lol I switched to dry lube instead of grease n oil because it felt slicker and stays that way longer. Also works amazing as lock sprays carwindow track giude lube. So many uses. I rubbed my gaskets down on my car doirs this past fall and my doors never froze shut lol ive been finding uses all over. Keep us posted to what anyone uses and why we all learn.
Steve

Post by Steve »

akuser47 wrote:I swear by liqiud wrench dry lube sptray can it is awesome and does not collect anthing try it I do not think you will regret it. I use it religiously. No issues at all I use it to dry lube my markIII I shoot over 2800 rounds without iisue useing this. any autoparts store will have it try it I so no way to be disappointed by it.
I furnish pistols in my carry classes for those that don't own one yet. I start most of them out shooting Ruger Mark III. I got tired of cleaning pistols a long time ago, these get wiprd down after use, then put up for the next user. When those Rugers get to where they don't run I clean them.

Well they reached that point again, I sprayed solvent in them, scraped a little crud out of them, flushed them good with brake cleaner, blew them out with 150 lb air, sprayed inside good with liquid wrench dry lube, let them dry and wiped them down with a oily rag. I'll let you know how it works out, the actions sure feels smooth now.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I have had such good results with it in my tight markIII and using it in my 1022 as well. Both have done very well. Keep us posted to how it works for you.
searcher4851
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by searcher4851 »

I'm a big fan of the dry lube. I use it on my press rams and for numerous other jobs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think I'm going to given the dry lube a try. I suspect I should clean all the old lube off first so will knock that out.
Michael

Return to “Progressive”