Need help with Lee Loader

The little red box that started it all!
Magnum0710
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Need help with Lee Loader

Post by Magnum0710 »

I'm having a slight issue with my 38 special Lee Loader and could use some advice. I'm having trouble resizing the cases and I can't get the case to go into the body die fully.
It is a vintage Lee Loader and it needed cleaned up when I got it. I cleaned it extremely well so I don't think that's the issue.
I was using a wooden block to deprime the brass and it worked great so I thought I would use the block for everything else too. The block didn't work when I tried to resize the case, I tried using a normal hammer but no go. I know you're not supposed to use a normal hammer and I had no intention of using it except for resizing.
Using a hammer put a dent in the rim so I tried again with some petroleum jelly in place of case lube. I figured if it worked out I would just resize all my brass first, clean the brass and the body die, and then finish up at a different time. Even lubed I still could not get the case fully into the body.
I'm thinking the issue is I was not able to hit the case hard enough with the wooden block or the hammer. I stopped at the dollar store and got a rubber mallet but unfortunately did not have time to try again before I had to leave for work.
I'm going to try again with the mallet when I get home tonight, if that does not work what else can I do besides getting a whole new Loader?
Lee does not sell the body as a replacement part or I would just go that route. Worst case would resizing to the point the case stops at be acceptable? I've heard the Lee Loader only neck sizes anyway.
I tried to attach a picture but the file is too large even after I cropped it.
2dollarbill
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Need help with Lee Loader

Post by 2dollarbill »

If you can do a "plunk test" and the cases go fully into the cylinder, I would say you're good to go. I had an issue with 45 colt doing just as you describe and they did not pass the "plunk test". I ended up loading those eventually with a Lee C press. Trial and error. Good Luck
Magnum0710

Post by Magnum0710 »

Thank you 2dollarbill
The cases did come out of my revolver and they didn't stick but I will put the cases into the cylinder and see what happens. I think it's mostly that I wasn't able to hit the case with enough force, the wood block was a little hard to work with and I didn't want to go too hard with the steel hammer cause it was already denting the rim around the primer pocket. I'll do the plunk test then try with the rubber mallet. If that doesn't work then I'll either buy a whole new Loader or just move up to a press.
I was going to get the handpress but the mounted press can be C clamped to a table so I'll probably just got with the actual single stage press.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I think I'd size a case as much as possible, remove case from die and measure. I have been using a 38 Special Lee Loader since 1970 although not a lot anymore (I now have 4 presses and 15 die sets), but I'll dig it out and pound out a few rounds when I feel "retro". I have used a 8 oz (?) yellow plastic faced mallet for more years that I can remember and never had any problems sizing, even sizing my 44 Mag. T-Rex Killer brass. I often use a lead ingot or puck for an anvil for my LL, quieter, and does not soften impact. I won't use a steel hammer at all and rubber probably won't work.
lightload

Post by lightload »

A drill press can serve as a press when using a LL. I cast a lead rectangle the size of a cigar box using a rigged "mold". This serves as a no bounce surface. My hammer is a hefty piece of oak shaped to serve as a hammer. Lube helps. So does polishing the interior of the size chamber.
Magnum0710

Post by Magnum0710 »

I tried the rubber mallet today, it worked much better but the case was still about a 10th of an inch out of the die. I can't get a case to go into the crimping side at all either.
I emailed Lee to see if they had any suggestions, they said a rubber mallet won't have enough force to drive the case in. They said to use a hard plastic or wooden mallet and some case lube.
I'm going to head to harbor freight tomorrow and get a plastic mallet, I found a really good one for $6 and one of the reviews said it works perfect with a Lee Loader. After that it's straight to my favorite local shop for some case lube. If it doesn't work after this I'm going to see if Lee will sell me a replacement die, if not I'll just buy a new Loader.
It'd probably be fine sized to where I had it but I don't know how well it would work sticking out when it comes to priming and I'll still have the issue of not being able to crimp. Unless I can somehow crimp it from the resizing end.
mikld

Post by mikld »

A hint and it may be easier/helpful; A bunch of years ago I found my case lube at a Walgreens drug store. In the shoe polish dept. was a can of Mink Oil Boot Dressing Cream and I remembered reading or hearing something about it as a case lube. Bought a can. I have been successfully used Mink Oil Cream on everything from 32 ACP to 30-06 brass, without one stuck case...
Magnum0710

Post by Magnum0710 »

I actually started using mink oil myself and it does work great! I also switched from a rubber mallet to a hard plastic and have been able to load no problem now. Part of the issue for me was I learned from watching videos on how to use it. The trick for me is setting the die on a hard surface, how these guys drive a case in while holding the die in their hand is beyond me.
I've worked up a few loads already and I have 30 test rounds ill be taking to the range this week. I'm using hs6 right now but I don't think it's going to work too well with lighter loads so I'm going to get hp38 or win231 when I pick up primers this week.
Thanks for all the help!
2dollarbill
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by 2dollarbill »

When I use an oil to lub, I use coconut oil. Pretty cheap, smells good and works great.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

A couple of questions:
What year was your Lee Loader made?
Which charge card are you using?
What powder dipper are you using?
What is stamped on your die body?

Return to “Lee Loader®”