Got a bulge buster set today!

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Got a bulge buster set today!

Post by Fyodor »

Royce wrote: 15 Oct 2023 19:21 Well I did not "throw out" the decapping pin as it will be needed to decap the rounds that I fired.
That's not what I meant.

In your initial post, you said some rounds failed the plunk test, and you wanted a bulge buster to fix that.

That is just the wrong tool for that.

I suggested buying another sizing die and remove the decapping pin, or buy just the die body as a spare part. Then run all of the finished rounds through that. This will resize the finished cartridge, removing any bumps or "coke bottle hips".

With my .44-40 I had a similar problem. The rounds were not perfectly straight. The case mouth of that cartridge is very thin, and sometimes it got slightly deformed. Often enough you couldn't even see it, but the round still wouldn't feed. Unfortunately my rifle has a very tight chamber, on the lower end of the tolerance. I got a sizing die body (since I ordered spares from LEE anyway), and run all cartridges through that once more. Never hat any problems again.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Royce
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Royce »

Fyodor wrote: 16 Sep 2023 07:07 The bulge buster is the wrong tool for you.

Just buy another sizing die body (or a whole die, and throw out the decapping pin). That's whyt I do with my 44-40. Works perfectly.
I guess you didn't say what you meant?
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

The topic is confusing for many reasons. Bulge Buster is mentioned but it was not the solution. 9mm Makarov and 9X18 are the same thing. Problem is solved so lets let this one go to sleep...
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun”