Got a bulge buster set today!

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Royce
My Press Choice: Turret

Got a bulge buster set today!

Post by Royce »

Unfortunately the Lee site says it won't work on the cartridges I am having trouble with. I have some 38 S&W caliber (not Special) rounds that fail the "plunk" test.

BTW I have a whole box from Steinel that won't chamber either. Mine - most chamber and fire just fine but a couple don't. Any ideas what to do next?
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Got a bulge buster set today!

Post by mikld »

Any time there is a fit issue, measure. I would measure the brass after each step; sizing, priming, flaring, bullet seating, crimp. Find our when the round goes out of spec. and then it can fixed.
Royce

Post by Royce »

mikld wrote: 20 Aug 2023 10:46 Any time there is a fit issue, measure. I would measure the brass after each step; sizing, priming, flaring, bullet seating, crimp. Find our when the round goes out of spec. and then it can fixed.
Good idea. I will measure the ammo from Steinel and see what is wrong with it.

I measured my own reloads and the case diameter is the problem Resizing the case works to fix the brass but then the bullet falls out.
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
Royce

Post by Royce »

Well I got out my dial calipers and the SAAMI specs. Turns out both my reloads and the box from Steinel was right against the SAAMI spec for case diameter at .386".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Royce

Post by Royce »

Running my rounds through the resize die (decapping pin removed) fixed the brass but turned the bullet loose. I decided to try resizing the ammo from Steinel and it turned out to be a success! The brass resized to .381" and the bullets stayed put. Success!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Royce

Post by Royce »

I ended up tossing my brass (two pieces) because life is too short to fool with stuff that doesn't work. I put the two bullets back in the bag.
Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

The bulge buster is the wrong tool for you.

Just buy another sizing die body (or a whole die, and throw out the decapping pin). That's whyt I do with my 44-40. Works perfectly.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Royce

Post by Royce »

Well I did not "throw out" the decapping pin as it will be needed to decap the rounds that I fired. I shot the whole box of 50 Steinel rounds and they worked pretty good. The Enfield's double action only pull was a problem. It must be close to 20 pounds. I do not have a trigger gauge so I don't know. In any case the Zombie got killed but I wounded the hostage.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I think maybe the tool you wanted was a 9×18 FCD with the guts pulled . The Bulge Buster is for out of round typically ACP family and cousins . The FCD , factory crimp die is specifically for fixing things like crimp bulge on an otherwise finished load .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Royce

Post by Royce »

For the 38 Smith and Wesson I use the 9MM Makarov FCD as it is the right diameter. Lee does not make one otherwise that fits the 38 Smith and Wesson.

Return to “Handgun”