Did Everyone Quit Reloading?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Did Everyone Quit Reloading?

Post by horseman »

RBHarter wrote:I just dumped the last bench can fill of Dad's 1968 12# keg of Unique. I'll have to start shooting the 8# I bought in the 90s now but maybe after I empty about 5000 rounds of that Red Dot from 69' ...

The Rossi M92's in Colts have a 1-30ish twist which is great for 165 gr collar buttons inside 100 feet . Not so much for the guy that wants to off a coyote across the field . I have an awesome hog load with a big fat meplat on a 260 SWC doing about 1275 fps MV. It scattered shots all over at 40 yd when I got to Tx so I regressed to some plinking loads I had taken to a gathering that gave me just over 1000 fps with 265 gr RNFP . Little groups and dead hogs with half inch plus exits . I went home back at 4000 feet and nothing everything shot just like before . I went to another shoot and the thing happened again but at about 70 yd . I changed SWC from the 452-255 to the 454424 Lyman. 75 yd I was scaring golf balls pretty bad and softballs were getting hurt pretty regular.......at 100 yd I couldn't hit a 1/4 scale buffalo steel because the bullet was hitting the berm 8 feet high and 10+ feet left . Apparently at 78-82 yd the bullet upsets and tumbles when it drops down through transonic from super to sub . The loads that were only 1000-1050 fps MV didn't do that because they never went super sonic and the 10 yd difference in the 2 SWC was the difference in shape .
I wanted to get the Rossi rebarreled but the cost at nearly 3x the rifle to get a 1-16 20" barrel stopped that so now I'm working in heavies starting sub sonic to get a useful 100 yd group . Just in case .....

You might try fire lapping the barrel of the Rossi. That's what I did with the one I had. It changed the accuracy dramatically.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Still reloading, but less than before. Kids need some of the time I spent on shooting before, and I had to switch to a less paying job during COVID. Forgot a while about this forum, but am back now. Even started casting this year, also in small quantities only at a friends place.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
reloader762
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by reloader762 »

Cast up a big batch of the Lyman 358156 SWC bullets a couple of months ago and got them coated and sized fairly quickly, but haven't had time to reload any with work, family holiday and birthday get togethers.

I plan to get out this weekend to the shop and spend some time at the bench loading up a few hundred rds. of SKeeter loads in 38 special cases with midrange 357 loads taking advantage of the second crimp groove and all the 38 special brass I have accumulated over the years.

Lee turret press is all set up and ready to go, just have to get started pulling the lever.
The Reloaders Network discord Channel
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I am revisiting the possible headspace issues I had back in 2016 on a Savage 340C in .222 Rem.

Hoping this is a reloading project and not a headspace issue.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I have 275 Rigby ,6.5&7.7 Japanese , and a possible barrel liner project working .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

GasGuzzler wrote:I am revisiting the possible headspace issues I had back in 2016 on a Savage 340C in .222 Rem.

Hoping this is a reloading project and not a headspace issue.

Quoting myself to say it's not looking up as I have bottomed out the old FL size die and I can't quite get the shoulder pushed back enough.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Horseman .
It's not a accuracy problem it's a transonic aerodynamic problem that could be easily fixed with 1/3 more twist and over come with gyroscopic stability.

If it were a barrel thing the depression under the front sight dovetail would be a likely cause . The older rifle with the front sight on the barrel band wouldn't do it also . The cousin High Point 45 ACP with the same bullets doesn't do it nor does the BlackHawk both of which have 1-16" vs the 1-32" on the Rossi's . The 454424 goes about 1150 out of the 16" HP 45 ACP so it might not be fast enough to see the comedown . I have run the BH up to 1240 fps .
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Kaiser »

After a short stint in the hospital last year followed by my wife spending a couple of months incarcerated there last winter, I didn’t get back to my loading bench for the better part of the year. I have a new range to go to now and have been loading on a fairly regular basis. I haven’t visited this sight for about a year and thought it went inactive. I’m elated to see it’s up and running!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

The current struggle is with a brand new 7×57 barrel on a trusted Savage 110 . I finally broke down and shot some jacketed loads to see if it was my cast or the rifle . I guess it's my cast or finding the tuning window. I may just stick an 06' barrel back on it .
lightload

Post by lightload »

I slowed down and am no longer able to cast safely. As years go by there have been fewer and fewer places to hunt and shoot. Land owners die or get old, and property changes hands. Old friends who extended privileges died off. A local indoor range charges $25 per hour to shoot. No thank you. Perhaps Mr Ranch Dog can hire out on his old place to kill hogs and fix fences.

Return to “Topic Bucket”