Did Everyone Quit Reloading?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Did Everyone Quit Reloading?

Post by RBHarter »

Wow I was really down on the 7×57 Savage in February. While it's still stalled I have answers and a direction to move .

I have Dad's 06' worried down to starting to deliver.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
2dollarbill

Post by 2dollarbill »

It's the dang gone primers. 10 cents a pop just for a primer. add another 20cents for a good round, maybe 20 cents for some powder, now you're talking some real money to reload. I don't know where this is going, but it ain't good.

2db
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Last time I looked at 264 WM it was $2.48 a round in a box of 20 FC blue box HY Shok . So if I buy the buck a pop 140 TTSX , 50¢ case , dime primer , and 50¢ in powder I'm still 40¢ ahead . Of course being the maniac I am I have 4-5 .266-.272 bullet moulds and the 260-120 NOE casts a 124 gr core perfect for paper patch up to .265 . I have a 8# jug of W857 I paid $60 for several years ago and load with H1000 data . I might buy more primers when they get down closer to a nickel than a dime . It's kind of a waste to shoot such a hotrod turned down to luke warm 6.5CM but I like having the option to turn the 125gr 2000-2200 fps cast paper patch bullet up to a 3000 fps 140 gr jacketed.

Even even in the good times the last 45 Colts I looked at was about was $80/100 , even if it costs me 3x what it did then to load them now I'm over $50 ahead on a 100 .

I spent some time loading 45 Auto Rim a while back . Even if it were the same price as ACP that would be still be over twice what I have in the 12 boxes in the can . Assuming the same cost as the Colts , I'm sharing bullet moulds . I don't think loaded Auto Rim is even a thing anymore.

The more I think about it I don't think I have a cheap dirt common cartridge I shoot much anymore.......couple of 06's , a 9 , and a 38 I guess.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

That sounds like where I seem to be in life myself. I'm only 70 but after the last 7-8 years my body has aged about 20 years, and the brain even more. I've outlived all my old friends/clients that had the hunting lands and my old hunting/fishing group has either died out or are spending all their time either playing golf, traveling or taking care of more elderly parents. At least I still have my home-away-from-home, a.k.a "The Old Man Amusement Park" (shooting range) only 7.3 miles away .... Still gets visited once or twice a week so reloading remains to be a necessity :)

All these "life changes" have been challenging to accept. They tend to be forgotten (temporarily) while sitting on one of the nice wooden park benches and using a wireless, long distance, hole puncher to perforate paper. It's not the same as perforating something that leaks, but it is entertaining!

jd

Need to add clarification: This post was in response to "lightload's" post from Sept 1st. I'm not sure why the "quote" command didn't work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Getting the urge to start up again. It's been awhile since I packed up my stuff. Although I don't really hunt anymore, just take walks in the woods with a rifle at times, I do have a friend and his son who are avid hunters and want to start learning how to reload. In fact they're heading over to Montana Tuesday for a couple weeks to deer hunt. Our deer season is over here in Washington. Elk is still going though. First year I've not done that in a long time. Anyway what I'm looking for now is a suitable small bench, desk, or whatever will work, to set up a couple presses to begin with. My friend and his son will reload pretty much rifle only, they both shoot several different calibers. Ahh, to be young again. I still have quite a bit of components left so not to worried there. Anyhoo, strongly considering it. Actually just miss the whole "hobby".....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

mr surveyor wrote: 09 Nov 2023 11:44Need to add clarification: This post was in response to "lightload's" post from Sept 1st. I'm not sure why the "quote" command didn't work.
Unsure. :|
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
thebige58
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by thebige58 »

Just joined the forum. With winter coming on I will be spending more time in the reloading room hopefully. Both my son-in-law & I reload for all our calibers that we have except for the venerable 22lr. I do most of the reloading since he is busy making a living and raising my 2 grandsons.
With cooler temps & firearms season getting ready to start, I won't be getting to the gun range that I am a member of as much.
FlaNative
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by FlaNative »

New here myself!
I usually load quite a bit but we are in the process of moving currently so a temporary shutdown is in order but only for a short time.
Ive been on a slug and buckshot kick lately.
Will be hitting the 30-30 pretty hard soon. Ive finally finished my last pound of SR-4759 so will be working on something to replace that powder.
"If I repent of anything, it is very likely to be my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?"
Thoreau
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

FlaNative wrote: 16 Nov 2023 21:34
Same with me, mostly buckshot. Nothing metallic in a long while
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
FlaNative
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by FlaNative »

larryw wrote: 17 Nov 2023 07:34
FlaNative wrote: 16 Nov 2023 21:34
Same with me, mostly buckshot. Nothing metallic in a long while
Yeah...Ive long since worked up good loads for my metallic stuff. The only load development I do for that anymore is when a powder I use is discontinued.
The slugs and buckshot thing seems to be as much magic as method at this point so its interesting.
Last edited by FlaNative on 18 Nov 2023 05:14, edited 1 time in total.
"If I repent of anything, it is very likely to be my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?"
Thoreau

Return to “Topic Bucket”