Lee Loader .45 ACP in a 1911?

The little red box that started it all!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Lee Loader .45 ACP in a 1911?

Post by GasGuzzler »

Remember he is using a Lee Loader though.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

It's been 10 years since I use the Lee Classic Loaders, but I seem to remember that all you had to do for crimping was to turn the die over.

I still have my 9mm loader, if I can find it I'll look at the instructions ...

jd

edit to add: I actually did find the 9mm Lee Loader kit ... it was exactly in the last place I put it 10 years ago.

Yeah, the directions for "rimless" make it clear to NOT try to add a crimp (because the taper crimp isn't built into the die). I do remember trying to load cast bullets with it, but had to really bell the case mouth to start the cast bullets without shaving. The mouth still needed to be at least closed. Loading jacketed bullets wasn't really a problem, but that caused the cost of re-loading 9mm with the whack-a-mole just completely out of consideration. I remember putting the 9mm kit back in a cubbyhole and just concentrating on .357 - which definitely got a good crimp
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Basically what the first few posts say hence the test for set-back. :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Lufbery
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by Lufbery »

I finally(!) got to the range to fire the .45 ACP rounds I loaded with the Lee Loader. Fifty rounds fed and fired without any problems or signs of high pressure. The pistol is a new Springfield Armory 1991A1 Mil Spec.

I loaded once-fired Federal brass with 5.8 grains of CFE Pistol behind 230 grain Berry's plated round nose bullets.

Accuracy was okay. At 25 yards, the rounds were a couple inches low. Usually when the bullets are hitting low, that means the velocity is higher than where the fixed sights are set. With factory 230 ball ammo, I was right on for elevation at 25 yards. I want to get it dialed into the sights and accurate. I have some additional load development to do. Darn. ;)

In any event: no failures to feed, no failures to eject, and no bullet setback or signs of high pressure.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

Just remember that the 45 acp is a "low pressure" load like the 38 spl. By the time you see signs of high pressure you are way over the limit. Usually you feel it when you are over before any signs show, especially primer signs.

Return to “Lee Loader®”