RCBS Pro-Melt Furnace

Precision Melter, Magnum Melter, Production Pot IV, and Pro 4-20
gunoil
My Press Choice: Progressive

RCBS Pro-Melt Furnace

Post by gunoil »

Few months ago l left lee and bought RCBS pro-melt furnace. Its another world.

My casting has improved , temp is correct, no drips.
Last edited by gunoil on 14 Sep 2018 06:18, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic Title Changed
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: RCBS Pro-Melt Furnace

Post by akuser47 »

That looks to fancy lol I kid I kid :lol: . Looks nice keep us posted also if you can define the pros and cons between them it may help others decide on what they want in their casting setup.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
gunoil

Post by gunoil »

There is no define. No runs, no drips, no errors. Steady every time ya walk up to it. RCBS got this unit correct.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I guess that is a simple summation and it looks really nice.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Mine won't heat above 650. I called RCBS and I have to ship it to them and pony up almost 100 to get it back to spec. Bah. I would fix it myself as it should be a simple parts swap but they chose to rivet everything together. I could drill them out but then I would have to buy a rivet gun to replace them. So far I'm not impressed.

The one serious upgrade I see is the valve has a blunt nail in the end that really plugs the hole. I keep thinking about how hard it would be to have someone mill one into the Lee furnaces as I think that is all that stops the dripping. With either Lee the smallest bit of slag will cause the hole to not seal.

It's secondary but I like the stainless steel bowl. I don't like there isn't a good spot to clip the thermometer. I keep meaning to build a bracket for the thermometer to hang from into the lead. I think they could have done better with the mold guide.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

That sucks keep us posted
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:The one serious upgrade I see is the valve has a blunt nail in the end that really plugs the hole. I keep thinking about how hard it would be to have someone mill one into the Lee furnaces as I think that is all that stops the dripping. With either Lee the smallest bit of slag will cause the hole to not seal.
I guess I need to consider myself lucky as I've had two Lee Pro 4-20 pots and they have never had the drip. I've never have figured out why they are called "4-20".
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I have no doubt that RCBS will make it right, but the fact they are chargeing you shipping n such bummer. I bought a used ohaus 1010 scale which the patent now belongs to RCBS. I got it at a steal of a price cause the user could not calibrate it. The shot in the pan was missing (the counter weight). I didn't know it till I got it. I contacted rcbs they sent me shot, a new powder pan, and new shot pan. Free of charge no qeustions other than whats your address.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Everything RCBS makes that is electric has a short warranty. Which I guess I get as they don't want to give away coils and thermostats for the next hundred years. I'm just bummed that I pony up for what is supposed to be a better pot and it doesn't work.

I would make a rude joke on Lee's 4-20 being that four pound of every twenty is going to leak out but I know it's my own fault for not keeping the pot clean enough. But it rears its ugly head every so often despite I flux and stir like a madman. I tried the polishing the inside lip of the spout with the valve needle and then I added the high temp anti seize compound and that helped for a while but it didn't seem to stay in place.

I just use too much scrap lead that is just filthy still. I recently started buying more lead from Rotometals and I think I'm only going to use that once I finally run out of scrap.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

The nice thing about Rotometal lead is it's a known alloy and already smelted but you pay for it.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Melters & Furnaces”