My Primers Arrived

RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: My Primers Arrived

Post by RBHarter »

Cup density . Anneal/alloy etc . FC is the softest cup , it generates the least hammer/firing pin movement .

The FC 209A was the hottest standard shotgun primer generally considered to be just a titch under the Win 209 Magnum in energy . It was the primer that represents back off and work up . BPI used to have data that showed a 10kpsi rise for the change from W209 to 209A .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
jlhog

Post by jlhog »

I received an email from Lee today that my Auto Prime is coming back to me. Fast service. From the note in the email it will still stick. It sticks when I am priming cases also, but here is what was in the email

"Customer sent in the above items because "the lever sticks" per Email Ticket #6154563.

It is normal for the thumb lever on the New Auto Prime to stick in the depressed position against the body of the tool when you are not priming a case. See attached letter from the technician."

I am a little disappointed with that answer and if it still sticks it will go on eBay cheap
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Yup, that is disappointing to hear???
Well, bottom line is that there are many other priming options out there, both on & off press,
Bench or hand primers. No need to to put up with frustration when not need.!!!!!!
I still use my old Auto Prime 2 on a dedicated old Challenger press. I also really like hand priming
& use the 21st Century Tool Co, hand primer unit. mine accepts Lee hand primer trays.
I have also used RCBS Bench prime unit, great unit, good feel, just hated filling tubes.
Take care & be safe. +corn
Last edited by larryw on 11 Aug 2021 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I recently bought the Lyman hand primer and I've been pleased with it. I also have a RCBS Bench prime that is at least 30 years old still going strong and I still like it.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

My hand primer is RCBS.

Make sure we all read what they wrote and what it means. They said it's normal for it to stick when NOT PRIMING A CASE...
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

For whatever it's worth I have wrist injuries that preclude the use of a hand primer . The up stroke priming on press in the singles had become the same the same ache after 100 or so cases at a time .
Having the good fortune of having a spare but worn light press I chose a Ram Prime . Sure I have to handle every primer but what a difference in the wrists . Once adjusted I left it set up .
The press handle weight takes care of most of the leverage needed .
I bought a pair of the Lee's so I could just leave a ram set up for each lg and sm and not have to ,change the pins .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
jlhog

Post by jlhog »

I have been using the ram prime and will continue using that. It is a PIA to pick up each primer, but needing to release the lever after priming each case is equally a PIA. I don't reload a lot so the ram prime should be fine.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Use an older Lee hand primer, the one with the square carrier. The plastic corner tabs on the cover lasted about two uses Elastic band holds the cover on nicely. I use it mostly for handgun cases. Most of my rifle cases are done on press with a safety prime.

Return to “Off Press Priming”