Neck Turning

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Neck Turning

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Curious who neck turns, particularly outside and what tool are you using. Looking to get as uniform a neck tension as possible and this is supposed to help.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Neck Turning

Post by farmerjim »

I have the RCBS hand held case neck turner on backorder. I will use this tool to reduce the thickness of the neck when converting some 223 cases to 300 blackout. I have seen some videos showing the Lee collet neck size dies reducing runout without neck turning.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I think the whole world is on backorder right now. When I form 6.5/06 cases from either 06 or 270 case I have used a reamer on my Forester case trimer to bring them to .264 inside. Right now I'm trying to wring the most out of a 6.5 Creedmoor. Right now I've changed my methods for fired cases, I decap, anneal then resize without the expander in the die, expand the neck with a 264 mandrel, charge and seat the bullet with a straight line seater, no crimp. I'm thinking outside turning is the next step and I think somewhere in my stored stuff I have the Forester attachment for the case trimmer so the search is on.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by orerancher »

I use the Outside Neck Turner attachment for My Forster Trimmer when Needed...
Mostly when makin 7mmInt from 300 Savage Brass.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

I gave up waiting for the RCBS neck turner and got the Sinclair. It works fine. I do not use their expander mandrel. I use the ones from NOE and only use the portion below the flair. I found that the brass had so much spring in it that I had to go 1 thousandth larger than their recommendation. Even then it was quite tight.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have the K&M neck turning tool; I've had it for better than twenty years. Believe it or not, I got it for my leverguns, custom mandrels for my straight wall cases 375 Win, 405 JES, 444 Marlin, and 45-70 Govt. With "fat" sized bullets having a thin, perfectly on spec outside diameter case made quite a difference in case feed and downrange performance. As time moved on and my hands started to hurt, I moved away from work. I bought the tools from the old guy that was working out of his garage; I believe K&M was his wife's and his first initials. I would have to dig back through our letters. Yes, written, not emails.
Michael

Return to “All Other Tools”