Why Separate Cases by Headstamp?

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Why Separate Cases by Headstamp?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

sonic306090 wrote:But When I separate the cases by Head Stamp, What do I do differently to each brand of headstamp?
I'm loading them all the same? 5.0 Gr CFE-PP / 124 Gr HP / OAL = 1.075

Is the reason for sorting headstamps just when shooting to avoid Gun Failures?
If you have a chronograph you could go the range and see if there is a significant difference. If none is apparent then you can save time and not sort.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

At 7-51 ft it probably doesn't matter .
I load everything for the hunt with the exception of 380 everything is designed around 25+ yd to cleanly take a game animal 3/4 to 3-4 times my size appropriately I don't expect to use a 9mm on a 600# bear and a 3000 ftlb 45-70-500 just feels like overkill for a whitetail .
With that in mind if an odd case puts a round 12" out at 30,50,100 depending on cartridge on paper I don't think I want that happening in the field where I might have only a second or 2 to hit a 6" circle at 50 yd .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
sonic306090
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by sonic306090 »

I'm learning a little bit at a time, I was reloading 9mm last night in preparation for Sunday's Shooting Range Time with my wife. She shoots Factory Ammo and I shoot my reloads. I'm noticing that I am not liking to reload Winchester cases. The OAL always seems to end up below 1.060 and it feels like it doesn't crimp at all. I would normally feel a slight resistance on other cases. It's a very light crimp just to finish it off.

I am now noticing the differences between different brands of cases. I think C.B.C. is the best to reload.
Thank you for any advice!
Mark 9mm
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

Why Separate Cases by Headstamp?

Because there's some brass cases that just need to be smashed .... Amerc comes to mind!

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread, but I carefully separate any and all Amerc "pick-up" brass from the keepers.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

mr surveyor wrote:Why Separate Cases by Headstamp?

Because there's some brass cases that just need to be smashed .... Amerc comes to mind!

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread, but I carefully separate any and all Amerc "pick-up" brass from the keepers.

jd
Don't think I've ever seen any of that stuff, doesn't sound like I missed much.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

For pistol reloading (generally) if you're not trimming all cases to the same length then sorting by headstamp is pretty much a waste of time. IF, you're loading something a bit out of the "ordinary" (max loads, plus+ or such) then pick you're "best" brass. Probably won't matter but it will make you feel better. All are correct, not all brass is the same as far as quality but it's all pretty good. I don't like Blazer or Aquila brass, crappy primer pockets, but I still use them but I also prep ALL 9mm pp before I reload them. I also find RP brass is a bit thinner than other brands. Federal brass, to me, seems to be really good stuff, but I had one split shooting a standard pressure load out of the 45acp a couple days ago. It happens. Rifle brass is a different story, I treat them differently.
sonic306090
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by sonic306090 »

"but I also prep ALL 9mm pp before I reload them"

How do you prep them? Do you trim down 9mm cases?
Thank you for any advice!
Mark 9mm
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

As far as separating headstamps, I do kinda' take an effort when dealing with revolver/rifle rounds and 30-30 rounds, but I really don't (normally) pay attention to the bottom feeder rounds I load - which are only 9mm and .45 auto. A year or so ago, I picked up a small batch of "AMERC" brass in .45 auto, cleaned it and just tossed it into my bulk stash. I ended up loading a few of them in my normal mixed brass sessions last year and they randomly got mixed into boxes of reloads. At the range one day I had a f-to-f and just cocked the hammer and tried again to no avail. Then, racked the round out with a primer-less round and a nasty mess of powder in my old Kimber. I managed to clean it up and get back to shooting and didn't think much about it until a couple of months ago when the exact thing happened again. Both times were AMERC brass. After doing a bit of web searching I discovered that AMERC wasn't a favorite among re-loaders (I'm being polite, which is difficult for me). I did go through every box of my stash of .45 auto re-loads and pulled out a dozen or so AMERC brass loads (and parted them out) ... and made myself a note to carefully sort out any AMERC brass for the recycle bag when I load .45 auto.

My old .45 Kimber Compact is more a PITA to field strip/re-assemble than a Ruger Mark XX .22 pistol, so having to deal with that at the amusement park ain't fun. No more AMERC brass for me ... yep, I check head stamps.

jd :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

sonic306090 wrote:"but I also prep ALL 9mm pp before I reload them"

I prep all 9mm pp (primer pockets) by reaming them with a primer pocket uniformer.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

horseman wrote:
sonic306090 wrote:"but I also prep ALL 9mm pp before I reload them"

I prep all 9mm pp (primer pockets) by reaming them with a primer pocket uniformer.
I also de-burr flash holes. It's all gotten easier since I got the Lyman prep center :D

Make smoke,

Return to “All Other Tools”