Do you prefer the red or clear hopper on your PPM?

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
mmb617
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Do you prefer the red or clear hopper on your PPM?

Post by mmb617 »

I guess the clear hoppers are replacing the red ones since the last two PPM's I bought came with the clear ones even though the picture in the ad showed the red ones. Since I prefer the red ones I then have to spend another $12 or so to buy a replacement hopper in order to get the red one.

I like having a separate top since when I'm weighing charges if any don't suit me I can just dump the powder back in the hopper. I could dump it back into the powder bottle but I don't keep open bottles of powder on the bench while charging cases. The only advantage I can see with the clear hopper is that you can screw the whole one pound bottle on in place of the hopper but I'd never do that since you can't see how much powder is left in the bottle that way.

I feel having a removable top is better and don't see the new style as an improvement. Am I the only one who feels that way?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Do you prefer the red or clear hopper on your PPM?

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm totally switched out to the "baby" bottle, clear, style. DIdn't look back. I have five Auto Drums and the Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I have three Lee dispensers (LPPM, Auto Drum and Pro disk) and all have the red tops. I don't think I would like the screw on clear bottle (never used one so..) and I can't see myself ever wanting to put a 1lb bottle on top of the LM press. I do have a question on the clear one, how do you empty it...do you just turn to off and then unscrew it ? The hopper also looks smaller ?
mmb617

Post by mmb617 »

horseman wrote:I do have a question on the clear one, how do you empty it...do you just turn to off and then unscrew it ? The hopper also looks smaller ?
It's definitely smaller and having to pull the hopper out and unscrew the cap to refill is more of a pain than simply removing the top and pouring in some more powder. Other than the ability to dispense directly from the bottle, which I'd never do, I can't see any advantage to the clear bottle design.

I only loaded 3 calibers and one bullet weight of each so I had one PPM set up for each load, but I added another bullet weight in 9mm so I bought another PPM to set up for it. I was bummed because the ad showed the red hopper but it came with the clear one. I've always used the red ones and we old guys get set in our ways!

Oh well, I have another red hopper on the way.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mmb617 wrote:
horseman wrote:I do have a question on the clear one, how do you empty it...do you just turn to off and then unscrew it ? The hopper also looks smaller ?
It's definitely smaller and having to pull the hopper out and unscrew the cap to refill is more of a pain than simply removing the top and pouring in some more powder. Other than the ability to dispense directly from the bottle, which I'd never do, I can't see any advantage to the clear bottle design.
I don't take the top off of it. Set it on the powder jug and rotate it to drop. But, taking the top off is like one rotation.

mmb617 wrote:I only loaded 3 calibers and one bullet weight of each so I had one PPM set up for each load, but I added another bullet weight in 9mm so I bought another PPM to set up for it. I was bummed because the ad showed the red hopper but it came with the clear one. I've always used the red ones and we old guys get set in our ways!
I'm an old guy. I've been using Lee bench equipment for over 50 years now. Over those years, I've reached for something on the bench and have ended up knocking the red, loose top, hopper off the powder dispenser be it on the bench or press; and it ends up a huge mess and a loss of powder. You will lose some powder with the bottle adapter hoppers, whatever goes out the small dispenser hole, but you are not going to lose the entire hopper load.

After using the bottle adapters for a bit, all my red hoppers went to the dumpster. I recounted adapters this morning. I have seven Auto Drums with Bottle Adapters on six presses and a Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure. I will never go back to the loose lid red hoppers.
Michael
Tonerboy1

Post by Tonerboy1 »

I didn't know they had switched. Good to know, I do have the new lee APP press for sizing bullets and I ordered more bottles to catch the finished bullets (they were the clear bottle) I accidently ordered the clear bottles labeled as hoppers and they came with the shutoff cap. Now I know what they are really for. I think I prefer the red hopper I have on my powder measure for the same reasons. Easy to dump bad drops back in and add powder on the fly when the level gets low. I haven't checked for sure but going by memory I think the red hopper is a larger volume also.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

I prefer the old style red hopper.

The removable cover allows me to dump the first three throws, and I can refill the hopper mid session. Also emptying it after finishing is much easier with the old style. I close the valve, and lever out the rest, dumping it back into the top. Then I remove the hopper from the measure, put it on the powder bottle, and open the valve.

All this is not possible or not as easy without a removable top.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I think Lee wants you to attach the powder bottle to the adapter. Guess than means to finish you must unbolt the measure from the bench and turn it over to remove the manufacturer's powder bottle...?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
barracudadave67

Post by barracudadave67 »

I have, and still use the red bottles. I don't like the clear ones. Why do they try to fix what isn't broke.

Dave
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I much prefer the original red bottle. Can see no reason to place a one pound bottle of powder over my reloading press or not be able to "fill as you go" when reloading. Like others I will drop several charges back into the hopper before I start a loading sequence.

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”