Lee "Perfect?" Powder Measure

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
TRSmith
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Lee "Perfect?" Powder Measure

Post by TRSmith »

Anyone have a tip on how to "warm up" or otherwise get the basic Lee Perfect Powder Measure device to begin to throw reasonably decent loads after you readjust it or haven't used it for a few days? I don't need for it to be perfect every time, but +/- 0.05 grains would be nice. I ran a full hopper thru it before initial use a couple of weeks ago, and I ran a few charges thru it before I started reloading cases tonight, but it still took a long time to somewhat zero in. Please advise...
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lee "Perfect?" Powder Measure

Post by larryw »

Howdy TR, The PPM is a super sweet throw & Very, Very accurate & repeatable.
I can't remember who or where but, there was a study done by some very well respected hand-loaders,
shooters & writers, where they compared the PPM to many other top of the line, big name throws.
To a man !!! they all chose the PPM for accuracy & repeatability BUT,,, always a but.
AFTER lapping the drum.

Lapping the drum consists of coating it with lapping compound (valve grind compound ect.)
& lapping the parts together until all the high & low spots are gone, thus custom fitting the parts.
I still have one I tweaked many moons ago & I still use it at times when I batch load, along with several other top of the line, top name & very expensive throws in there day , & still considered by many, to be "The Best".. My little PPM hangs right there with the rest of them, if not dead on, plus or minus .1

By the way, (this is a great time to ask after reading a book) Did you dissemble & wash it in Dawn
& let it air dry???? If not, try that first & reassemble using the proper screw tension on the drum/handle screw.

Clear as mud now right :) Hope this helps some. Take care & be safe...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Larry gave you the correct information, and I agree with him completely. I have one that came with some "stuff" I picked up that I just put away and didn't use. I reload mostly handgun and do that on a couple progressive presses so I had no need for a "stand alone" measure. (When I reload rifle rounds I do that on a single stage press and a automatic RCBS Charge Master powder throw). Decided to handload some 45 Super rounds (singly) and wanted/needed to be precise on the powder so brought out the little Lee. (only stand alone measure I now own) Cleaned it (washed as Larry mentioned), ran some powder thru it, then I coated the inside with graphite powder. Leaked quite a bit of the powder I was using (AA7 which is a very fine powder). Lapped the inside cone and housing together with Clover 320 compound (same stuff I use for barrel lapping), for about 10 minutes, it did better, but still leaked a bit. (but was pretty accurate) Lapped it again until ALL the shiny parts on both parts were gone. No more leaking and it is now about as dead nuts on as you can get (weighed on an RCBS 1010 scale). I'm impressed and I've used some pretty good measures over the years. Some folks just don't like the measure as it just "seems", well, I'll say it, feels to cheap and chintzy to be any good, and needs to be "caressed" a bit to be in good form. (I could've been included in that group somewhat) But once done, it is very, very accurate. That's my assessment. :S Function over form always wins in my book... :geek:
TRSmith

Post by TRSmith »

Thanks for the help, guys...I didn't think there was actually anything I could do but live with it. Anything on YouTube that might show a newbie what "lapping the drum" and whatnot looks like? And what does "reassemble using the proper screw tension" mean exactly, larry?
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by buckeye43210 »

TRSmith wrote:Thanks for the help, guys...I didn't think there was actually anything I could do but live with it. Anything on YouTube that might show a newbie what "lapping the drum" and whatnot looks like? And what does "reassemble using the proper screw tension" mean exactly, larry?
Lapping Howto Post
larryw

Post by larryw »

I just sat here & did a lengthly write up, move for move on how to do it.
Then I saw this & tossed it.. Sweet Buckeye, very nice work.
Wish I knew how to add those tags & red arrows to pictures??
Wouldn't have to write a novel to answer a lot of questions.
The old adage is true?? "A picture is worth a thousand words"..
See there TR, he's got the torque spec I couldn't remember for the screw..
TRSmith

Post by TRSmith »

Many thanks to both you and ranch dog for getting those pictures to me. I still am not sure what lapping does-is it like treating the parts with rubbing compound to smooth everything out so no pesky powder flakes can escape in between the moving parts? Is there anything easy to inadvertently break in there if I take the fragile-looking gadget apart? Is Clover Lap 500 the stuff I should use? One more question: is it a good idea to run a few powder drops of graphite powder thru the system to coat it better? Hey, larry, how do I "officially" thank people on the forum?
larryw

Post by larryw »

See that "thumbs up" in the top right of everyone's post ?? In the post you want to thank someone for, just tap it.
or wrote a post to them, or send them a PM (Private message) & thank them privately.
Real glad you got all the info.on the PPM tweak. That's the first thing that struck me about this forum
many moons ago. The crazy amount of experience & the unbelievable amount of knowledge that's
here collectively was, & is, nuts but, what really floored me,I'm was the willingness of the people to
gladly & immediately share it, compared to most other forums. It's was almost instantly like a large bunch
of people that knew my for Year's & Year's. Good place..
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE ELASTOMER WIPER BEFORE LAPPING.... cap's are on purpose just to make a point. :D

Lapping compound: RD used 500 grit (I saw it in the picture), I used 320 (that's what I have) If I had some 500 grit I would make a "finish" pass or two with it AFTER the 320. Not sure if it would matter much but that's what I would do.
larryw

Post by larryw »

I've lapped them both way, in & out, just took a bit longer, & with the extra fine permatex compound,
now you have a custom fit wiper also... :) :) :)

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”