32 TL Wadcutter Mould

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
Green Frog
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

32 TL Wadcutter Mould

Post by Green Frog »

Can anyone tell me anything at all about the TL style mould for a 32 full wadcutter (not SWC?). A friend has one that he has used to cast samples for me. I’d like to know when it was made and for how long as well as whether it came in 2- and 6 cavity versions. Was it a special order/group buy or a regular production item? :?:

TIA ~ Froggie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 32 TL Wadcutter Mould

Post by Ranch Dog »

Your friend can't tell you about the mold? I've never heard of it.
Michael
Green Frog

Post by Green Frog »

I just talked to my friend (Dale53) who turned me on to the mould in question. It was available at the time the 32 H&R was introduced but was discontinued shortly thereafter. At this time I only know of two people who have them, Dale and gun writer Ed Harris, but know of at least one other set that did exist. Dale got his first set (which is the third set, now in Limbo) from regular stock through a Lee Distributor. The one he now has came to him used via eBay. It lacks the “normal” Lee stampings and only has hand scribed markings. He’s sending pix and I’ll post them as soon as I can transfer them into my photo library. Dale’s example is a 6 cavity, but he remembers them being available as 2 cavity moulds as well.

Froggie
Green Frog

Post by Green Frog »

Here are the pictures Dale sent; I hope I was able to get them reduced properly to post them here. They came via text message then transfer to e-mail then download then resized. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Green Frog

Post by Green Frog »

the other one, showing cavities...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

If it does have have a mold designation stamped on blocks, it is a custom order. I did talk them into doing the same with custom orders. I think it started 2010.
Michael
Green Frog

Post by Green Frog »

I had the same impression... perhaps this example is from some sort of special order of so many units... of an old discontinued design. We don't know the history of this one since it came used via the 'Bay. The first one Dale had was bought through the old F&M Distributors who got them on regular order directly from Lee back about the late '80s. At one time it was a regular stock item, but apparently only for a very short time.

The other L-word (Lyman) had a relatively short run of 32 wadcutter moulds designated 313492 IIRC.) That's one I've had the good fortune to find, but it's not quite the same, and of course is not a TL design. I think we can safely say the demand for any 32 pistol moulds was regarded as of minimal impact by all the makers, so getting them to make more is pretty iffy!

Froggie
Dale53
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Dale53 »

If an when things get back to normal, I believe that Lee will do a group buy with no charge for tooling if at least 20 molds are ordered with the first order. That should not be too hard to do. This is an excellent design and works well if the dimensions are correct.

I have not only used the tumble lube wadcutter for target use but it is also quite useful for small game with the .32 H&R Magnum.

FWIW
Dale53
Green Frog

Post by Green Frog »

Waking this thread back up to see whether anybody knows of a source. Also, as per the suggestion from Dale53, is there any interest here in having a group buy organized? There seems to be a lot of interest in shooting the various 32 cal revolvers, so maybe enough of us could get together…

Froggie
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I myself have no use for a wad cutter in any caliber and own no .32's.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”