Loadmaster on the way - excited!

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Loadmaster on the way - excited!

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Lbrewer42 wrote:Thanks for the great reply.

Something I try to live by is that the day I think I have become an expert at something is the day I should be smart enough to realize how little I know.
Duplicating factory, yes you can but, (always a but??) To do properly requires
use of a chronograph & in loads like some 9, 40 & a few of the earth shaking
big boys, pressure measuring equipment, ( not likely for most )
You have to at least see what your velocity is doing. Hope that answer helps ?
OK - definitely going to follow the advice here. So please understand this next question is just for more learning on my part.
I will be reading the manuals, and most certainly will not be stupid enough to just strike out on my own ideas in this subject of which I know nothing about.

1. Am I correct in assuming a lot (maybe all) reloaders are attempting to "tune" their ammo for their personal pistol? Thus there are so many different powder, etc. options out there instead of just following the example of the ammo companies to make a generic round? Until now I was not caring much about this fine tuning.You're probably close to correct. Some guys probably load to have less expensive ammo for just "blasting but I believe most of us are trying to wring the best out of our guns in our chosen pursuit

2. I understand each pistol will have its own characteristic response to different ammo. So how crucial is finding that exact sweet spot for a specific firearm? Is finding the sweet spot the difference between an 1" or a 1/32" in putting two pieces of lead through the same target hole? That sweet spot is an individual choice. Basically what do you want to do with that load and that gun. Here in Ohio where I hunt deer, it's mostly woods and shots are anywhere from point blank to maybe 100 yards. So I want my hunting loads to hold 2 to 3 inches at 100 and the rest is up to me. These are 357 up through 45/70. On the other hand I strive to keep my varmint loads inside an inch and I know if I do my part I can reach out.

3. I used to be an avid & succesful .22 cal. squirrel hunter. I only shot them in the eye. I was able to do this with any factory ammo. Same with my 30.06 and deer. Yearly successful (stalking and tracking, not a tree stand), and I am trying to learn how this experience of "just any store bought ammo" in my rifle fits in with "no generic recipe" for reloading pistol ammo? What puzzle piece am I missing here? You'll see generic recipes now and then, they'll usually go something like - anybody's xxx grain bullet with x grains of xxx powder. When they fit in known data I've tried a few of them, mostly they work.

Again I want to stress: I will be reading the manuals, and most certainly will not be stupid enough to just strike out on my own ideas in this subject of which I know nothing about!

Thanks for the help :t
I've been at this since 1967 and still enjoy it. Making tiny groups, taking game with my own loads, ringing the gong at 500 yards. It's all fun.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Yup, exactly what Wheels said !!!
Now, one more thing.
There are a couple different kinds of loaders. There are "Reloaders" then
There are "Hand loaders" . Reloaders, open a book, pick a recipe & say
" that looks good" load up a bunch & go blast. They are known to most
Of us as Handle pulling monkeys.. Then, there are "Hand loaders" we as
hand loaders strive to make the absolute best ammo for a particular firearm
& particular use. We also want & need to know what we're doing, why we're
doing it, what the expected outcome will be & why. Be A Hand loaded 42..
One more thing... Don't over think this but do strive to understand it..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Lbrewer42
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Lbrewer42 »

I really appreciate all of the time and info everyone has shared with me.

Confession time. For the immediate, I will likely be a handle pulling monkey. I know this will change with time though. My wife and I are trying to get her CCP, and at present I want to just run a bunch of ammo through the pistol (and have mine there as well) for her to get comfortable with it. She has never shot but one or two shots out of a pistol.
But I am sure this monkey will graduate to a real reloader since its in my nature to go to an extreme with anything I take an interest in. But at present I am also tackling restoring a metal lathe (then learning how to use it - what better way to learn my way around the details of the machine then taking it down to its basic components and rebuilding/restoring?). Pretty soon I am hoping to add a milling machine to this as well. So I have a lot of learning ahead of me b/c of hobbies.

Got a manual today and will start reading.
Thanks again to everyone!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Please do not modify the new press until and after you set it up 100% by Lee instructions and still have an issue. Reading here for a long time has taught me most times one of these machines does not work as intended when new is caused by incorrect assembly or adjustment.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Lbrewer42

Post by Lbrewer42 »

Thank you for this GasGuzzler. Yes - fixing problems before you know they exist is never a good thing. Onlay after setup and running awhile are modifications smart.
I am prepared with info for fine tuning (although the simple polishing of the underside of the shell holder plate I was planning on doing right away - just makes sense). I enjoy tinkering and troubleshooting intricate machinery anyway (built an animated cukoo cock from scratch) and also refinishing and refurb of old tools. These are some of the reasons I went with the progressive Loadmaster as my first machine. Lots of moving parts needing to by assembled/synchronized/tuned = fun! :D
larryw

Post by larryw »

Lbrewer42 wrote: Lots of moving parts needing to by assembled/synchronized/tuned = fun! :D
Yea buddy, I'm the exact same way, love it !!!
Gas is 110% right !! Follow instructions to the letter. As far as Lee equipment, especially Loadmasters, we have the Guru of Gurus on this site, the boss himself RD, (Ranch dog) Dig around through the old post's, a wealth of info there...
Take care & be safe.... PS,, Just please don't stay a monkey :D
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Lbrewer42

Post by Lbrewer42 »

Well...I DO like bananas :lol:

No. I won't stay a monkey. Its not in my nature. I will start out with a totally utilitarian mindset and then start wondering...what if...

That is all it will take.

A lot of it will depend upon time not spent pursuing other interests I already am too deep into.

Going to attend the largest glass insulator show there is this coming weekend. It happens to be near the nearest Harbor Freight where I plan to pick up a stand to use with my Loadmaster.

So likely next week I will get to start the setup. Admittedly I don't have powder, CCI primers, etc. yet (all back ordered). But will look into trying to find these semi-local soon so I can start the setup.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

larryw wrote:
Lbrewer42 wrote: Lots of moving parts needing to by assembled/synchronized/tuned = fun! :D
Yea buddy, I'm the exact same way, love it !!!
Gas is 110% right !! Follow instructions to the letter. As far as Lee equipment, especially Loadmasters, we have the Guru of Gurus on this site, the boss himself RD, (Ranch dog) Dig around through the old post's, a wealth of info there...
Take care & be safe.... PS,, Just please don't stay a monkey :D
All you need is a pencil, popsicle stick, and five of the sticks glued together!
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

A Load Master (any progressive for that matter) is a more "challenging" start for a new reloader. Lot's to watch and think about as the wheel goes round'. As said, mind the instructions carefully on set-up. The LM has, like, 5 moving parts, it's a simple design, but it has to be in sync. Get it together and just run the press a bunch empty, this will help you get a better understanding of the press operation and it will also "smooth" things a bit. Run it a bunch. Just watch it work. Once you get the dies set up and the nerve to start to reload rounds :D do just one round at a time start to finish. Use the case feeder so you'll get that adjusted correctly. Just do one case at a time for at least a couple hundred rounds, I use my LM like this quite a bit actually, loading small amounts to check a particular load. Once I get what I want, I "usually" go full auto.

Handloaders vs Reloaders...hmmm, I'm both I guess. I definitely "hand load" for my hunting rifles one at a time, carefully, on a single stage press, (except 223) and I do carefully craft loads for my handguns, (and 223) but once I find the load I want to use I become a "handle puller" and start cranking. But I crank rather slowly. No reason to hurry, well, unless "they're" coming up the drive and you're out of ammo... :lol: If you have any issues or problems, and you will, there is sure to be someone here who can help. Post any questions you have even if you think they're "dumb" questions, we all started at the beginning.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Lbrewer42 wrote:<snip> But will look into trying to find these semi-local soon so I can start the setup.
Where about in Ohio? If you're any where near SW Country Antiques in Lebanon has had primers and powder in stock at least a couple weeks ago. Also the Vance store in Lebanon has primers now and then not all sizes, but you could get lucky. Call first. Gun shows sometimes but the last one I went to apparently everything was made with gold or platinum :x .
Good luck on your search, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Progressive”