Exchanging Auto feeder System

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
michman

Exchanging Auto feeder System

Post by michman »

I just bought a Pro 1000. What I was wanting to know is, could I use the auto feeder that has the spring underneath the hopper, on my Pro 1000? I like the idea of the spring feed return way much better that the flimsy chain. If so, will my hopper screw onto the base of the one with the spring, and will my disks fit on the older base?
Also, I was thinking of buying the metering block. Is the die set up the same on both feed systems, so I can just screw the older base right onto my die on the Pro 1000.
I just figure if I can get the spring loaded base, put either my disks on it, or the metering valve, then put my hopper on it, I can eliminate the use of a chain, and not have to mess with it.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Exchanging Auto feeder System

Post by Fyodor »

If you set up the chain correctly, it will not snap. It mustn't be tensioned in the lower most ram position. The spring just needs a bit compression to reset the powder measure.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
michman

Post by michman »

I don't know why they would go to the chain anyway. Just another thing to have to deal with. Just thought that the chain return was a much better idea. Would' have to worry about anything else or if it was adjusted or too much tension. From what I've read on other forums, it's going to break sooner or later. Do you think that I should get the metering valve, or the disks are just fine. I will be loading for 9mm only for now.
michman

Post by michman »

I meant that the spring return idea would be a better idea over the chain. I messed up the above post, and here is the correction.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

The chain will not allow you to double fill the case, you can with the spring if you short stroke the press ( if you do not go far enough to index to next case)
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

michman wrote: From what I've read on other forums, it's going to break sooner or later.
A friend of mine has 14 (!) pro1000 on his bench, and most of then are in regular use. He only got one broken chain, when he was taking of the turret without removing the chain first. None snapped during reloading. So I believe, all the fuss in the web is from people who thing "more is more", and tension the chain all the way.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
moonie

Post by moonie »

I have both, yes the chain is more to setup however I've had the spring loaded ones hang and not charge cases, never had that happen with the chain, obviously.
Steve

Post by Steve »

moonie wrote:I have both, yes the chain is more to setup however I've had the spring loaded ones hang and not charge cases, never had that happen with the chain, obviously.
I had the same thing happen that moonie had. disk jamed did not retract to refill, so following cases did not get powder.

I'm staying with a chain. If the pdr mes was jamed so tight to break the chain it is stll ok. At least the chain breaking would get my atention.
44vaquero

Post by 44vaquero »

Moonie, I have used both the chain and the spring on different machines at different times. I cannot really say one is better then the other, understanding why the introduced the chain etc.

You can improve the springs performance by reliving the underside of the body casting where the rib touches the spring. That rib sometimes causes the spring to retract in a jerky fashion and can on occasion cause the disk not to fully retract.

Return to “Progressive”