A used loadmaster with an issue

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

A used loadmaster with an issue

Post by cj8281 »

The Ad: "The Lee loadmaster indexing has some problems, you can still load progressively but you have to pull the indexing rod out before you push the ram back in. Not really a big issue, just adds a couple extra seconds of time. Also the small primer feeder gets jammed, probably needs to be cleaned or replaced. I havent used the pro 1000 or lyman press but they seem to be in working condition. Doesnt come with any dies. Asking $300. Please call or text (text preferred) thanks"

Any idea on what the issue could be on the LoadMaster? Contemplating it for loading my self defense practice ammo which is a set load. I imagine I could get a bit of money out of the Lyman Turret press to go for replacement parts for the LoadMaster.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: A used loadmaster with an issue

Post by horseman »

Indexing issues with the Load Master is usually one of three things. Could be a "stacked" problem of all three. Generally if the press just doesn't index when the ram goes up and down it's a simple adjustment of the shell plate carrier, needs to be set closer to the frame. Easy fix. If the problem is the index rod doesn't "release" from the shell plate when the arm is moved up (ram going down) the shoe (flipper part on the index rod) is buggered up, need a new one. If it is in good shape then it (shoe) needs to be adjusted out a couple turns. Possibly the index rod needs to be replaced, but that isn't usually a problem unless someone has "bubbaed" it to much. This is assuming the ridge on the frame itself isn't "hammered" up in some fashion, although I've never seen that and I've seen a lot of LM's. The primer problem's, hmmm, get a new small primer set up, including a new spring for the primer punch. Get a couple spares. If you have to purchase all of these parts you'll probably be out maybe 30 bucks. If the machine looks clean and not abused and the Pro 1000 the same (which Lyman press? doesn't matter really), offer 250/275 and giggle all the way home if he takes it... +guns

I just re-read your post. A Lyman Turret, now that can change things a bit. Those,even the "older" models are worth a bit. Not sure of the Tru-line Jr. (I "think" those take the 310 dies, could be wrong) but if it's the larger 6 hole model they are a pretty darn good press.

I also would wager if you dally to long it will be gone if they're at all in good shape...
Last edited by horseman on 22 Jun 2020 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

So, it is three presses for $300? I like horseman's statement of "If the machine looks clean and not abused."

Another thing that might be stopping the Ram short of the complete stroke is one that has been over-torqued via the Draw Bolt. The problem appears to be an indexing issue but the Ram's tube bulges immediately below the carrier and it is toast. I did this following "internet" instructions on another forum that stated Lee's torque setting of 11.6 ft/lbs (139 in/lbs) was inadequate.

My only caution is that you can buy a brand new Lee Load-Master #90183 for $200. So, it is easy for this not to be a good deal given the problems, especially if the press is ugly.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

^^^^^

Agreed. Sounds like it's only a good deal if you don't mind the legwork and risk of flipping the other items to come out ahead.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog and GasGuzzler, good response, made me re-think my answer a bit. I was "assuming" the LoadMaster has all the pieces for a complete caliber minus dies. Powder measure, case feeder and shell plates. Bare bones press perhaps not so good a deal. If the presses are "clean" the Pro 1000 (complete unit) and the Lyman, if the 6 hole model Turret should be worth at least 200.00 for the two perhaps a bit more. Whether a person wants to go through the selling of them is another issue. Me, I'd keep all three and try them out, may not want to move them.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

I am thinking it might be a good deal as they look pretty clean in the pictures. I was just wondering on the issue on the advance. I just checked with him and he still has it. The other slight issue is it is down in Provo, which is hours away.

@RanchDog, I will check the ram below the carrier and see if it is bulged, hopefully not.

Here is the first part of the ad.
"Description
Selling 3 of my presses as a package. I have a Lee Load master progress press, Lee Pro 1000 progressive press, and a Lyman 6 hole turret press.
Loadmaster comes with:
-9mm shell plate
-45acp shell plate
-2 Lee 5 hole die plate
-Lee Autodisk powder dropper
-Lee Auto drum powder dropper
-Bullet tray
-Large and small primer feeder
-case feeder
-Lee universal mount
Lee Pro 1000 comes with:
-3, 3 hole die plates
Lyman 6 hole turret comes with:
-Powder dropper"
His other ad is a Dillon xl650 with a bunch of stuff for $650 Stuff like 380 dies, 9mm dies, 223 dies, brass cleaner, powder scale and such.

Thanks for your replies. I am going to see if I can acquire it.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Sounds like it's worth a shot now that I see all it comes with...as long as you have expendable income...which is obvious because people on this site generally are smart about most things.

I've seen giant lots where people sell for their deceased family member and they add the retail prices up then take off 10%. No one buys a giant reloading lot at retail minus 10%. No one buys a giant reloading lot at retail minus 40% if it's a huge lot. No new reloader will spend a lot on a lot that may not fit his needs and flippers need enough margin to make money.

Never sell a giant lot of reloading equipment.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

cj8281 wrote:@RanchDog, I will check the ram below the carrier and see if it is bulged, hopefully not.
Take a caliper, the measurements are small. Where it is obvious, is when you true to remove the ram (tube).
cj8281 wrote:Here is the first part of the ad.
"Description
Selling 3 of my presses as a package. I have a Lee Load master progress press, Lee Pro 1000 progressive press, and a Lyman 6 hole turret press.
Loadmaster comes with:
-9mm shell plate
-45acp shell plate
-2 Lee 5 hole die plate
-Lee Autodisk powder dropper
-Lee Auto drum powder dropper
-Bullet tray
-Large and small primer feeder
-case feeder
-Lee universal mount
Lee Pro 1000 comes with:
-3, 3 hole die plates
Lyman 6 hole turret comes with:
-Powder dropper"
His other ad is a Dillon xl650 with a bunch of stuff for $650 Stuff like 380 dies, 9mm dies, 223 dies, brass cleaner, powder scale and such.

Thanks for your replies. I am going to see if I can acquire it.
Yeah, that doesn't sound bad at all.
Michael
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

Apparently someone else was closer. He stopped returning my texts and later when I checked it was marked as sold. :(

@GasGuzzler, I know what you mean, right now there are 3 very large lots on there. One of them is $900 but it has multiples, powder, bullets, primers, cleaners,stacks of dies. There is one that tempts me as it is a complete RCBS setup for $400 that includes an 8lb jug of Varget. Buy it, keep the Varget and sell the rest......
McDirkale

Post by McDirkale »

Seriously, watch gunblue490 and Harleychromeman on YouTube. I did, set mine up their way two weeks ago and it has run like a dream since brand new.

Return to “Progressive”