44 Magnum and 44 Special with the same kit?

The little red box that started it all!
Lufbery
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

44 Magnum and 44 Special with the same kit?

Post by Lufbery »

Hi all,

I have the Lee Loader for 38 Special, but the die actually reads "38/357." I checked here a while back and confirmed that the only difference between the two kits is the load data and the size of the dipper. Since I use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure and Lee Safety Balance scale to measure my powder, I'm not concerned about the dipper.

So here's my question: is the .44 Mag Lee Loader the same as the 38/357? That is, can I load 44 Special with the .44 Mag Lee Loader kit? I suspect the answer is yes, but I want to make sure.

Thanks,
-Drew
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: 44 Magnum and 44 Special with the same kit?

Post by cj8281 »

I would say yes as the 44 spl is just a shorter case. You will need to use a smaller charge of powder as you know. What age is your kit? Most of the older kits, the ones in the paper boxes, usually list what you can use the kit for. The older 9mm kits states that it can be used to load 38 spl and 357 mag with a different decapping base, powder measure and charge card.
Lufbery

Post by Lufbery »

cj8281 wrote:I would say yes as the 44 spl is just a shorter case. You will need to use a smaller charge of powder as you know. What age is your kit? Most of the older kits, the ones in the paper boxes, usually list what you can use the kit for. The older 9mm kits states that it can be used to load 38 spl and 357 mag with a different decapping base, powder measure and charge card.

Thanks for the reply! I don't have it yet, but I want to buy a .44 kit to reload .44 Special. My father passed away in March and I inherited his .44 Special Classic Charter Arms Bulldog with a 3 inch barrel.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

I found my 44 Mag Lee Loader yesterday and got it out. It is an old one with a solid red, hinged box and the load data is for 44 Magnum only. No specific 44 Magnum instructions, but I'm not sure about the Magnum vs Special issues, but according to Lee Precision the only difference is load data for 44 Special isn't included.

Off Topic
Lee Loader is a complete reloading system, kit includes everything needed to reload 44 Magnum, except rubber mallet. The rubber mallet may be obtained from your local hardware store. This kit can also reload the 44 Special, you will need to obtain 44 Special load data and appropriate powder scoop.
Lufbery

Post by Lufbery »

Thanks!

It dawned on my earlier today that I could send a note to Lee and find out. The response I got says the same thing. From the e-mail response I got:
Yes, you can use the 44 Mag Kit for the 44 Special, and you would be correct in not using the load data and dipper. Thank you for checking!
I plan on picking up three more Lee Loader kits soon-ish: 45 Colt, 44 Mag/Special, and 303 British. If only they made one for 9mm Makarov.

Regards,
-Drew
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Lufbery wrote:If only they made one for 9mm Makarov.
Or the 7.62x39!
Michael
mikld

Post by mikld »

I have 8 Lee Loaders even though I have been reloading with a press since the mid '70s. Sometimes I just want a few rounds, sometimes I don't want to change over my press/powder measure/tools. etc. But when I use them the most is when I feel "retro" and have time to enjoy pounding out a few...
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

@Mikld, the solid red hinged Lee Loader boxes were the first ones to have the CC powder dippers. What is the date on your charge card?
mikld

Post by mikld »

No date on the load data sheet or instructions. Yep, the included dipper is 1.6 cc, for 21.6 gr of 2400
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

wow, 21.6 gr of 2400? I usually top out between 17.9 and 19.0 depending on boolit weight.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “Lee Loader®”