Setting Up Loadmaster for 9MM

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Setting Up Loadmaster for 9MM

Post by klr »

I'm getting ready to set up the Loadmaster for 9mm. Mine came in 223 so I need everything. I only want to buy this stuff once.

So far I have a 9mm shell plate.

Dies - I'm thinking that the Lee carbide deluxe 4 die set with the FCD would be the best choice, but I'm willing to be persuaded differently. I'm sizing on an APP so I have 5 stations available.

Powder - Do I need an adapter from the measure to the powder thru expander die?

Powder measure - Disc or drum? I guess I could set up the one from my 223 kit. Hopefully I can get the leaking to stop.

Priming - What die to best hold the case? Remove the decapper rod from the carbide sizer and set it for light contact?

Anything else?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Setting Up Loadmaster for 9MM

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeee Haaa!
klr wrote:Dies - I'm thinking that the Lee carbide deluxe 4 die set with the FCD would be the best choice, but I'm willing to be persuaded differently. I'm sizing on an APP so I have 5 stations available
Yep.

You are sizing on the APP? I do it on the Load-Master.
klr wrote:Powder - Do I need an adapter from the measure to the powder thru expander die?
Both the Auto Disk and Drum thread into the PTED. I use the Drum.
klr wrote:Priming - What die to best hold the case? Remove the decapper rod from the carbide sizer and set it for light contact?
With all my die sets, rifle or pistol, I look for three positive points of contact (die to shell plate), to prevent any torque on the turret or shell plate. With pistol dies on the turret, that contact is at Stations 1, 2, and 5. All the stations are set up with the ram/shell plate at the top of its stroke.

Here is my pistol cartridge Setup:
  • Station #1 - I use a universal decapper, now with the Guided HD Decappers for caliber. This die is adjusted with full contact with the ram/shell holder raised. My purpose for this die is to ensure that the slider fully mates the case into the shell holder. The Guided Decapper assists and lets you know if the primer flash hole is blocked.
  • Station #2 - Sizing die with the Decapper Rod removed. This die is adjusted with full contact with the ram/shell holder raised. As you have noticed, there can be a little case play while in the shell holder. I want the case fully stabilized/aligned to assist primer seating.
  • Station #3 - Powder Through Expander Die. I'm using the Auto-Drum. The die comes with a threaded funnel adapter screwed into the die. Remove it. To start the adjustment, insert a case in the shell holder, and raise the ram to the top of its stroke. Thread the PTED body into the turret with the Expander plug inside the die. Watch the plug carefully and when the plug makes contact, stop. You should notice the contact by the movement of the plug, it wants to rise. Mark a reference on the die. Lower the ram and thread the die into the turret 5¼ turns. Install the Auto Disk. When you expand a case with a stroke of the ram, the Slider in the Drum's body should rise to near the top of the slot, that magical popsicle stick spacing. Check the expansion on the case. The die will only need small adjustments at this point. Use a freshly sized case every time you test the expansion!
  • Station #4 - Bullet Seating die. With the Ram raized, thread the die into the turret until it makes shell plate contact. Then, back it out three complete turns. This will allow you to use the bullet feeder fingers now or in the future.
  • Station #5 - Carbide Factory Crimp Die. You can follow the instructions with the die. It ends up with the solid shell plate contact.
Michael
5akman
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by 5akman »

I load 9mm on my LM and this is the way I have it set up. I decap in station one, then tumble (if needed) and hand prime. Then auto disk in station 2, RCBS powder lock out die in station 3, bullet drop in station 4 and crimp in 5. It took a lot of tinkering to get the expander die/powder drop correct to work with with my Bully Adapter bullet drop die at station 4. The RCBS die is just insurance so I don't get an over or under charged case.
Value Turret, Loadmaster, CH single stage, Mec 600jr
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote: You are sizing on the APP? I do it on the Load-Master.
I am. I bought nearly 4k of once fired brass and I'm giving it a careful once over. I feel better doing the brass in individual steps at this point.

Thanks for the detailed info!

Thanks too, 5akman. I can see the point of using a lockout die.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

klr wrote:I bought nearly 4k of once fired brass and I'm giving it a careful once over. I feel better doing the brass in individual steps at this point.
Even though I have an LCT instead of a LM, I too am running through a massive pile of 9X19 brass to the fully prepped except primed stage from the beginning.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

GasGuzzler wrote: I too am running through a massive pile of 9X19 brass to the fully prepped except primed stage from the beginning.
What I'm finding is that I have very few pieces of brass that need any primer pocket prep. I can prime them on the Auto Prime in about the same amount of time as it would take to run them through the swage or ream them. Any that give me a problem I take care of then. So now I have primed brass ready to load.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

...yet I got so much at such a good price I am fully prepping them all so when I sell a chunk of it, what is left is free.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Progressive”