Offset Linkage on an older challenger press

All “C” and “O” type Lee presses.
Poppy42
My Press Choice: Turret

Offset Linkage on an older challenger press

Post by Poppy42 »

Hi all,
I just picked up what I believe is an older Lee challenger press( non breach lock). Well here’s my question the linkage is offset. Am I that old and not remembering well or is this unusual?
0C8CCF34-C582-4198-AB90-B2FAE1BB436D.jpeg
. I’ve inserted the photo I hope this clarifies my question. Oh and I don’t have a clue how to rotate it. Anyway any information on this would be greatly appreciated like I said I don’t ever remember seeing this before
Thanks
Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Long, Wide, Deep, and without Hesitations!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Offset Linkage on an older challenger press

Post by horseman »

Looks like maybe the old type "pot metal" linkage (from what I can make of the photo) Lee changed that linkage many years ago to steel. As to how it all attached I have no idea.
Poppy42

Post by Poppy42 »

Yeah the linkages cast I still understand why it’s Off to the left Instead of in line with the ram
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

It's much easier to rotate the picture on your phone but you can rotate it before you save it too. Actually the easiest method is to make sure it's oriented correctly when you actually take the picture (make sure the controls icons are at the bottom of the scree not the side when you hit the shutter button).

Anyway...

You really have two questions about the press. One is asking if it's normal for the linkage to be "rotated". The linkage isn't rotated, the base has an offset angle for the linkage mount. It's supposed to be like that to make reaching into the press much easier. Line the handle up straight at you on the bench with the frame rotated.

Second, it is old with that cast linkage. See the pic of mine below. Although old enough to be discontinued, mine has the "modern" steel linkage. Convertible? You would probably have to call Lee and see if they style have the style linkage that's on mine.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Poppy42

Post by Poppy42 »

Yep it came to me about 130 this morning. The press mounts to the bench on a diagonal thereby making the handle perpendicular to the bench. You confirm my suspicions as to make it easier to access the press. That’s for updating the linkage I’ll look at it this way it ain’t broke I’m not gonna worry about fixing it. Just in case if I am going to check out the Lee website and see what the linkage looks like on the new challenger presses. I have a sneaking suspicion that the basic design has stayed the same except that now the parts are all steel. Anyway thanks for all the replies I appreciate them
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

I was looking at some new(er) pictures of the Lee Challenger and it appears, at least to me, that the press no longer sits with that offset. If so, that's to bad, looking at GG's picture of his press that looks to be a very good design to me. Very easy access to the opening of the press.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:I was looking at some new(er) pictures of the Lee Challenger and it appears, at least to me, that the press no longer sits with that offset. If so, that's to bad, looking at GG's picture of his press that looks to be a very good design to me. Very easy access to the opening of the press.
Yeah, the Breech Lock Challenger is more or less squared up on the bench. Heck, it is hard to find in the 2020 catalog.
Michael
Poppy42

Post by Poppy42 »

I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies to my thread. I couldn’t be happier with my acquisition of this older challenger press. The best I can tell from my research and the replies from everyone here is that my new to me, old Challenger is that it was probably made in the late 80s early 90s. I base that on the offset linkage and handle and the fact that the linkage is made of cast and not steel. I got to tell you I don’t know where this press has been since then but this little gem looks like it was just shipped from Lee yesterday! There’s literally no dirt on it! I don’t know if it’s ever been mounted on a bench before as the mounting holes don’t even have any ware marks in the finish! Up till now most of my reloading has been done on a Lee classic 4 hole turret. Although I do have a Lee hand press, that I use when I’m at the range and working up a load. And the little C press that Lee makes, along with a Lyman TruLine Junior, that I use to load 38 special, and 310 tools in every caliber I shoot. But I’ve been missing a decent single stage press. Call me Old fashion but I still prefer to load 30-06 on a single stage press! This older Challenger will sure fill that niche I’ve been missing! I managed to get it all mounted on my bench today and I am very much looking forward to working up and loading some 170 grain cast 30-06 rounds tomorrow! Anyway thanks again for all your responses they were very helpful With my quest to find out the history of my new to me older Lee challenger press!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

All I could find to date it is that Lee started putting steel linkages on them around the time they introduced the Breech Lock Challenger. That means to me they likely didn't offer it for much longer after that (like mine) due to redundancy. Then again, Lee offers the Classic Cast and the Breech Lock Classic Cast right now.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I hope you will post some pictures of it on the bench. No worries if they need editing, I will handle it. I've been trying to find an older Lee catalog, but not much luck so far.
Michael

Return to “Single Stage”