First-run camlock Pro from Nightmare 2 sweet dream

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

First-run camlock Pro from Nightmare 2 sweet dream

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

Starting off the first run of 45 ACP on the newly set-up cam lock Pro. Shortly after a few rounds I began to have difficulty. The case feeder was kicking out cases sideways. Safety Prime was throwing primers on the floor and I was having difficulty fully seating primers with the Press. I went back looked at everything I had set up and it appeared correct. I took a break to think about it and then decided to break everything down back to the basic press and this is what I found.

There were spent primers not going through the ram to the primer storage. They had built up under the shell plate. I cleared the obstruction cleaned everything very well and then reassembled the Press. Since I had everything apart I reinstalled the brass feeder and took out the plastic spring of the Lee safety Prime and as I've seen on YouTube placed a quarter inch Bolt spreading it apart and then dropped it in boiling water for 5 minutes.

Well I ran 25 rounds without a problem without dropping a single primer and with all cases feeding properly. The nightmare seems to be over. The loads are mixed brass Sierra 230 grain bullets Full Metal Jacket the powder is Winchester 231 at 4.6 grains for the first 15 4.7 grains for the next 10. .
This should be a mid-range load but I'm not loading anymore until I test them at the range.
It will take a little getting used to seating primers on a press and developing the feel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Re: First-run camlock Pro from Nightmare 2 sweet dream

The main culprit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

A great job figuring out a number of things. Before the APP arrived, the sole purpose of buying the Challenger press was for decapping. I learn not to do it on the Load-Master and have never done it on the Classic Turret. The debris gets everywhere and sooner than later...
Michael
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Ranch Dog wrote:A great job figuring out a number of things. Before the APP arrived, the sole purpose of buying the Challenger press was for decapping. I learn not to do it on the Load-Master and have never done it on the Classic Turret. The debris gets everywhere and sooner than later...
Yes I understand and actually was looking this morning a single stage presses for that sole purpose. Since I have Cam locks on all the dyes I just popped them all out except for the decapping die and put all the brass in the brass feeder and just ran them through 2D Prime. . But yes I am looking at the single stage Challenger press and buying another plate to mount it on since I have the cam lock Pro on the quick release plate mounting
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Shooterrick2020 wrote:. . But yes I am looking at the single stage Challenger press and buying another plate to mount it on since I have the cam lock Pro on the quick release plate mounting
I just looked at the APP is only $10 more than a Breech Lock Challenger. I think I would go with the APP unless you need to full-size rifle brass as well.
Michael

Return to “Progressive”