Primer warning light

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Primer warning light

Post by killian6pk »

Has anyone got instructions for making the primer warning light modification to the loadmaster? Specifically how to build it. Installing seems pretty straight forward, but actually wiring it might need some components.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Primer warning light

Post by larryw »

There is a guy on YouTube, calls himself, " I am not an expert " he has a bunch of
Pro 1000 videos.
One video is of a "low primer warning" contraption, has light & buzzer.
Really a slick idea & Set up. I see no reason it couldn't be adapted to the LM.
Give the guy a look, he is a tinkering genius. I stumbled across him a few
years ago when I first started messing with a 1000.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

I have figured out how to wire this with a switch and power source. When the parts get here I will post a picture and a drawing of the wiring which is pretty simple.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Primer Warning Light Circuit
Primer Warning Light Circuit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crash40SW

Post by Crash40SW »

I saw a demonstration of someone using an Arduino IR Obstacle Sensor for this. They drilled a small hole through the primer feed chute and put the IR Emitter and Detector on opposite sides. As long as a primer was in the way, the LED on the board didnt light up. Didnt use anything else, just had power supplied by a USB power bank that also ran his LED lights on his press.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Crash40SW wrote:I saw a demonstration of someone using an Arduino IR Obstacle Sensor for this. They drilled a small hole through the primer feed chute and put the IR Emitter and Detector on opposite sides. As long as a primer was in the way, the LED on the board didnt light up. Didnt use anything else, just had power supplied by a USB power bank that also ran his LED lights on his press.
I saw that also, but it looked pretty complicated. I am not arduino literate. This simple circuit will light up the case if there is no primer before the powder drop. That way you don't pull the handle on an unprimed case to drop powder. You can use which ever color LED you want to shine up through your case. I opted to also buy an endoscope camera off EBAY. This will allow me to mount the camera at the top of the press to look down into the case to make sure there is powder in the case before the bullet is set. The camera is pretty cheap for the peace of mind of knowing your case has powder. It hooks to your phone or I Pad type device to give you the visual.
Crash40SW

Post by Crash40SW »

The one I saw doesn't use the arduino itself - it just uses the pre-made sensor board only.

The board has an indicator light on it. the only thing you need to do is plug in 5v power (Vcc + GND). It was designed to check the primer level in the feed chute though, not if there was one in the primer cup.

Though, you did give me an idea... I'll have to see if I can get a high brightness LED into the carriage on my ABLP to shine up through the primer pocket if I forget to prime the case..
MikelLikesIt

Post by MikelLikesIt »

Heres a led that will work for a light fr the shell plate and other things. It doesnt need a resistor which was a problem with my first design.

But now I did it one better. I posted my creation I saw mentioned (found out it was here) using the arduino module to do it. Works great, much more notice than the led. It beeps at you. So you dont have to check it each time, it tells you.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

That was the idea behind the design I posted. Just simply to let it shine up through the case before you drop powder. This design (I did not design it) drills a small hole under the shell holder to put the light socket into.

Crash40SW wrote:The one I saw doesn't use the arduino itself - it just uses the pre-made sensor board only.

The board has an indicator light on it. the only thing you need to do is plug in 5v power (Vcc + GND). It was designed to check the primer level in the feed chute though, not if there was one in the primer cup.

Though, you did give me an idea... I'll have to see if I can get a high brightness LED into the carriage on my ABLP to shine up through the primer pocket if I forget to prime the case..

Return to “Progressive”