LoadMaster Up and Running

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

LoadMaster Up and Running

Post by klr »

I spent the last three evenings setting up and tweaking my Loadmaster to load .223 and now have it working smoothly. Things I have learned:

1. You have to feed it perfect brass. Perfect. Well-lubed, chamfered mouths, uniform primer pockets. Perfect.

2. When one thing goes bad the whole operation goes sideways and comes to a screeching halt.

3. Focusing on speed reduces your output.

At this point my only problem is the powder measure. It leaks. I'm using CFE223 and it sprinkles the top of the press. I'll have to do some research, but if any of you guys have a solution I'm all ears.

I know why some of you guys have multiple Loadmasters. I DO NOT want to change this one to load 9mm.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: LoadMaster Up and Running

Post by GasGuzzler »

My Auto Drum leaked for a while when new. It's not uncommon but they usually "heal".
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:I spent the last three evenings setting up and tweaking my Loadmaster to load .223 and now have it working smoothly. Things I have learned:

1. You have to feed it perfect brass. Perfect. Well-lubed, chamfered mouths, uniform primer pockets. Perfect.

2. When one thing goes bad the whole operation goes sideways and comes to a screeching halt.

3. Focusing on speed reduces your output.
Truer words have not been spoken!
klr wrote:I know why some of you guys have multiple Loadmasters. I DO NOT want to change this one to load 9mm.
So have you ordered it yet?

I'll be back with more thoughts... got to go.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote: So have you ordered it yet?
:lol:

At the rate I shoot, I'm going to load up enough .223 to last the rest of my life and then switch it to 9mm. Then the boys can worry about it. :lol: :lol:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:

At the rate I shoot, I'm going to load up enough .223 to last the rest of my life and then switch it to 9mm. Then the boys can worry about it. :lol: :lol:
Them boys are going to talk you into ordering it and let you set it up. You know I'm right! Wait until your birthday month and buy it from MidwayUSA. You will know which bells and whistles to buy it with! ;)
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Things I have learned:
I think you will get to the point when you feel something going wrong and haven't committed to a near full stroke of the ram so you can ease up on it and correct the issue.

Where I have noticed the most stops, now that primers and priming is a non-issue (because of the pocket prep which for me started before the APP), is the first stage. Things like the case hanging up at the feeder, two cases dropping, or the case not fully engaging the shell holder. If any of these happen, it tells me that I'm not operating the ram fast enough, or my rhythm is a bit unsteady, like slowing down to look at something. If your other stations are set up properly and the case retainers tight, Station #1 is the only place that something can start.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote:
klr wrote:

Them boys are going to talk you into ordering it and let you set it up. You know I'm right! Wait until your birthday month and buy it from MidwayUSA. You will know which bells and whistles to buy it with! ;)
Likely so. :lol:

BTW, I had a lot of trouble with the powder downstroke double charge eliminator and finally just took it off. The chain was so tight on the down ram position that it bent (and finally broke) the plastic piece it attaches to. If I set it one chain ball looser then it wouldn't reset and allow another powder charge on the next stroke. Any tips?
Wyoming T/A

Post by Wyoming T/A »

just got my powder thru die today so going to tackle that tomorrow--think i have my case feeder working good !!!!!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

klr wrote:
BTW, I had a lot of trouble with the powder downstroke double charge eliminator and finally just took it off. The chain was so tight on the down ram position that it bent (and finally broke) the plastic piece it attaches to. If I set it one chain ball looser then it wouldn't reset and allow another powder charge on the next stroke. Any tips?[/quote]

You do not need the chain with the Auto Drum measure. Smart move removing the stupid DC eliminator. Remember to put the small screw back in the "slot" after you slide the plastic arm forward.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

horseman wrote:
You do not need the chain with the Auto Drum measure. Smart move removing the stupid DC eliminator. Remember to put the small screw back in the "slot" after you slide the plastic arm forward.
I decided that I'd rather have a double charge because it would result in powder spilling all over the press and alerting me to a problem. (.223 case is close to full with a normal charge.) If the DC eliminator didn't reset then I could possible have a case with no powder and not find out until I stuck a bullet in the barrel.

I did remove all the DC parts and reinstall the screw.

Return to “Progressive”