Outside Neck Turning Tools

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Outside Neck Turning Tools

Post by orerancher »

Anyone Turning Necks? Which Tool do Ya Like?
Thanks
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Outside Neck Turning Tools

Post by horseman »

I have a K&M that I've used on 7mag and 06'. I use the Lee three jaw chuck with it chucked in a cordless drill on slooooow speed. I have no idea if it's better than any other out there but I can say it works fine for me. Seemed like a good thing at the time but not sure I'll be doing much neck turning any more. I doubt it there is an advantage to be had using "regular" hunting rounds and rifles. It was more of a "something new to do" for me.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have the FRANKFORT ARSENAL Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep Center and it's the bees knees. I had 1500 pieces of military 5.56X45 and tried the Lee tools but they are too cumbersome, slow, light duty for my taste. This thing is a beast and all I did was swap out the "primer pocket cleaner" for the RCBS Carbide Primer Pocket Uniformer.

Kinda pricey but it will last longer than I will and it took a 30+ month project into a few hours to finish. If you go this route you will want to buy a different head for each cartridge unless you don't mind several minutes of set-up every time.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have the K&M Outside Neck Turning tool as well. I ordered it long enough ago that I had to call the fellow and his wife that were K&M. I have custom collets for all the levergun big-bores, 35 caliber and up. At the time, I was working with heavy, for the cartridge, cast bullet designs. Things like a 425-grain bullet for the 444 Marlin. With the fixed magazine length, bullets must be seated deep and to avoid the case swell, the wall thickness must really be cut back.

It's very slow work. I suspect that there is a bench in hell with outside neck turning tools on the table to which some poor sod is chained to the stool. :shock: :lol:
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote: It's very slow work. I suspect that there is a bench in hell with outside neck turning tools on the table to which some poor sod is chained to the stool. :shock: :lol:

:lol: Very aptly put. You better "enjoy" ALL aspects of brass prep to go to those limits, with the end result being more important to you than the process...have a good friend I don't get to see often as he lives quite a ways away come up the other day. I was in the midst of loading "test" rounds for the 45acp so he watched as I finished doing EIGHT rounds of a particular load on a single stage press. He asked me about the progressive press on the other bench (along with a bunch of the other equipment sitting around) so I did a short explanation of how it worked in comparison and that once I had a load I was good with I would transfer over to that one for more "production". He asked why I didn't just use that one to begin with. Without getting into the looong discussion of the "whys, and "hows" he then said that was something he should probably learn to do and asked if I would teach him. I told him I could show/teach him how to put some rounds together pretty easily but learning to really "hand load " was a bit more in depth, would take some time, and I didn't think he had the patience for it. He is just one of those guys that is always going, going,going with a zillion things on his mind to do with never enough time to get it all done. I once told him a candle that burns at both ends may burn twice as bright but only burns half as long.....he did get it but it didn't help. If you're gonna' turn necks, you better have "patience".. :D
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Thank You Gentlemen!

Return to “All Other Tools”