Powder warning #7 is not always the same #7

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
galaxieman
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Powder warning #7 is not always the same #7

Post by galaxieman »

Guys, I have not been posting here for a little while, and a complete story on this has been posted over on Marlin Owners, but I wanted to share this to help prevent anyone else from having this issue.
I blew up my 444 marlin last week and while not injured it could have went very differently.
I was trying to work up a load and bullet combination for my rifle that would improve accuracy.
A common power recommended was reloader 7. Unfortunately for me I never noticed a brand name and mistakenly bought Accurate #7 thinking it was what people were talking about.
So to be very clear, Alliant Reloader 7 is a slow burning rifle powder and Accurate #7 is a fast burning pistol powder. Do not confuse these two powders, even though they are named similarly.
After the catastrophic failure of my barrel I discovered that this has happened several times before, and no telling how many times that people have not admitted to.
This cost me a rifle, and a little damage to my pride and nothing else. I don't want it to ever cost anyone else anything.
Just remember, no matter how careful you think you are, mistakes can happen.
Be safe, and learn from my mistakes and save your rifles (and possibly fingers or more) from this mishap.
Galaxieman
jdrslyr75

Re: Powder warning #7 is not always the same #7

Post by jdrslyr75 »

Thanks for the info and sorry to hear about your fine weapon. I'm glad you weren't injured! Will you be able to fix the rifle?
galaxieman

Post by galaxieman »

No, it is a complete loss except for the rear stock and some small parts.
jdrslyr75

Post by jdrslyr75 »

Hate to hear that
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Wow you would think they would know that by now and change the name, one or the other or both. Just glad you are okay as guns can be replaced.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Really hate hearing you experienced the difference between Accurate #7 and Reloader 7. Thanks for taking the time to come forward and try to help others avoid this same mistake!

I haven't been on MO in a while but went and looked at your post. I ran your 50 grain load through QuickLoad and it looks like it would have been about 150K PSI!

The Good Lord has things for you to do yet!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I also wanted to add that I hope that you will get back "on the saddle" and keep reloading!
Michael
galaxieman

Post by galaxieman »

Oh, Yessir. I enjoy reloading quite a bit. and always felt I was over careful, but this can happen to anyone. I will be in the market for another 444 when I can build some funds back up. This time I will probably hold out for a Ballard rifled one though. For the time being though, I have plenty other rifles and pistols to load for.
GM
jdrslyr75

Post by jdrslyr75 »

Good luck with your search for a replacement rifle. I have been wanting a 444 lever gun for about a year but I refuse to pay the current prices. Maybe Rossi will start producing it in the Rio Grande and settle the market down. We can only hope!
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Wow. I'm very glad for you not being injured and that's kind of a testament to how strong they build those rifles and the design they put into them.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”