App Press

The Automatic Processing Press for case bulge busting, decapping, resizing, and swagging plus bullet sizing.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: App Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I used to use Tuff Nut and didn't have a lot of trouble with it stuffing the cases. Next time I can get out I'll see if the local Cabelas has any in stock, either the cob or the nut media.

Stay we, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote:I'm using Lyman's Corncob Plus and have had no issue with the small necks of my 218 Bee. I don't own a 223 Rem.
What do you use for case lube? I've been using RCBS stuff and a lube pad, but I'm going to need to use something that's better for sizing big batches.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

With the rifle cases, I use the Lee Lube. I squeeze one tube of the lube into a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, the higher the percentage of alcohol the better. I use that bottle as a storage bottle and add what is needed to a small spray bottle (a small mist bottle). I set the cases out on the tabletop and spray them. With the 70 ~ 90% mixture of alcohol, it dries very fast. Honestly, I've used the Lee Lube since I started this so long ago. Twenty to twenty-five years ago, I started mixing it with alcohol on a recommendation from the Lee's. I never needed anything else.

I don't lube my pistol cases coming out of the Corncob Plus, they are very slick.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Thanks! That's way better than the way I do it. I assume that enough gets into the case mouth?

What size bottle of alcohol - pint or quart?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Qt, I use 70%. In my conditioned reloading room with its low humidity, it dries very quickly. My sprayer bottle was one of those that had hunting scent killer in it, a bottle with a trigger sprayer. I drop a bullet in the alcohol bottle, that helps mix it up when you shake it up. Be gentle, I big bullet rattling around will bust the bottle.

I keep a sheet of wax paper that I layout on the table and when I spray it, yes, I make sure it gets into the neck.

I wonder if there is a run on isopropyl alcohol?
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote:
I wonder if there is a run on isopropyl alcohol?
I was wondering the same thing. Fortunately, I have an almost full quart bottle of 91% sitting on my reloading bench.

No telling how long it will be before I get my APP press and swage kit, however.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:I wonder if there is a run on isopropyl alcohol?
Yes, after the sanitizer went away this was next for those whom wanted to make their own.

I walked into a liquor store along about March 15th and I was greeted with: "If you're looking for Everclear, we're out".

This sprayer method works well. Just angle the sprayer nozzle and enough gets into the necks. I spray them sitting in a case holder then spin it around 180 degrees and hit them again.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

When I run my Dillon I've been using their spray lube, pretty much the same stuff. Same with Hornady One Shot regardless which you use you have to let it dry before you run the cases. I got in a hurry to finish the last 20 or so cases and created a mess.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

Like RD, I'm a devoted fan of the Lee Case Lube and alcohol. As a late comer to the re-loading party, I didn't get fully started til early 2011. I got the home brew idea right out of the Lee re-loading manual. I'm not sure where I got the idea of using a big zip-lock bag, but I've always tossed in a good handful of brass, give it 2-3 squirts of the lube mix, roll it around in the bag just a bit. Then dump them onto wax paper and stand them up to air out for a minute or so … usually while bagging the next bunch. It just dawned on me that I'm using the same zip-lock bag I started with in 2011. Finally, something I can say I've gotten my money's worth from.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Dang, why didn't you guys tell me about this sooner? ;) :lol:

Today I squeezed 1/2 ounce of the Lee lube into 8 oz of 91% rubbing alcohol in a small spray bottle. I threw 75 223 cases on a piece of cardboard and gave them a few squirts. Let dry and then ran them through a resizing/decapping die. Fast and easy. :t

I'll try the ziplock bag next time.

I think Lee should print this mixture method on the tube of lube.

Return to “APP”