What am I doing wrong?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
jdrslyr75
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Post by jdrslyr75 »

Bob, I am not going to argue with you, especially since you are more experienced than I am. They very well could be crimped, I just don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I should search for some pics of crimped primers online. If they are crimped, what tool is used to remove them without de "CAP" itating (sorry for the bad pun, couldn't resist) them. From what I understand the super swage tool is used on the case after the primer has been removed. Also, are there any budget minded (read cheap, because that's what I am) primer pocket swagers on the market? I realize they won't be as fast, but my time is cheap. Thanks for all of the replies and keep them coming everybody
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Do you see any corrosion?
The only time I've seen the decapping operation pierce the primer or rip through it as you are are seeing was with some corroded M1 Carbine brass. That brass was not only crimped but the corrosion had welded it in place. Because of this 200 of 1600 case were lost to be recycled for a lead exchange at a local metal recycler.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
jdrslyr75
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by jdrslyr75 »

Well I have egg all over my face! Found some pics of crimped primers on the web and confirmed that I do have crimped primers. I was looking for more of a stake style crimp and overlooked the circumferential crimp on my brass. Apparently, some primers do have a stake style crimp but most are circumferential. Learn something new every day! I'm off to grab my counter sink from the shop, thanks for all the help!
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

RCBS has a primer pocket swage die that works well enough but you have to set it up just right and sort the brass by lot, batch, brand, or whatever. The idea is that you want to make sure all the brass you are doing has a uniform case web thickness or you will warp the rod that is pushing from the inside the case to swage the pocket. I think that is as cheap as it gets. I bought mine and when trying to process a pile of milsurp brass I quickly found I would rather spend the cash on the Dillon offering. But the RCBS die did work, it's just painful slow.

As for decapping, it's a hit or miss. I doubt it's worth it to try and soak them in anything to break up the sealer if it's there and usually that just cracks up anyways. I had trouble with not being able to set the Lee sizing die's decapping rod tight enough that it wouldn't just keep pressing up in the collet. I even stripped the threads trying to set one tight enough. So I bought a regular (Not AR or small base) RCBS .223 sizing and decapping die and that made short work of that pile. But then I wanted to start decapping before sizing and ordered another Lee universal decapping die and it punched them out just fine. I hate to say it but there is no perfect tool for this and it may be luck of the draw on if a tool will rip through them or not. On the plus side it's only a worry once.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Lee makes a depriming tool and socket to set the shell in. It is primarily used to deprime crimped military cases so you don't bend your rods. You hit the depriming rod with a hammer and it should work fine. After you have them deprimed, remove the crimp and you shouldn't have any more problems . The deprimer comes in 30 cal and 223.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I didn't even know they made these!!!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/297408 ... 22-caliber

I need one!!!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I didn't even know they made these!!!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/297408 ... 22-caliber

I need one!!!

Wonder if my Lee Loader decapper will work? have to look and see.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:Wonder if my Lee Loader decapper will work? have to look and see.
I went on the Lee website and looked at the part numbers to compare them the decapper and decapper chamber are the same ones used in the Lee 223 Rem Lee Loader.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

So they are just parts to the Lee Loaders??? That's some sneaky awesome marketing...!
gray wolf

Post by gray wolf »

Good suggestion. I figured if I ruined the brass with a torch, I would be no worse off than I already am, but the hair dryer idea is much better. Thanks RD!
If you over heat the case head you can be a lot worse off than you think.
It does not have to glow orange to be super soft, ( case head separation ) perhaps not on the very next shot but it could happen for sure. Just sayin

Return to “Rifle Reloading”