Prepping A Barrel For Cast Bullets?

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
Mike 56
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Prepping A Barrel For Cast Bullets?

Post by Mike 56 »

I am fairly new to cast bullets in center fire rifles. What I did with my Moslin Nagants was cleaned out all the copper I could with Hopes Elite. Then I put some chrome polish in the chamber and polished the barrel with a bore snake. I now want to start shooting cast bullets in my model 94 Winchester. I have not shot it much only about a hundred rounds of jacketed bullets. What is the best way to prep a rifle for cast bullets?
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Prepping A Barrel For Cast Bullets?

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Buy some actual copper fouling remover and use it. Something with ammonia in it and make sure you use it right. It would be best to slug the bore to see what you are working with as far as what the bullets will need to be sized. They are supposed to be .312" but I've read of them being .314" with wear or maybe rushed war time production. You might surf the CastBoolits forum as you are far from the first to do this. You won't be able to use a regular .308" bullet mold unless you really work hard at opening it up a bunch. Usually cast in a rifle shoots best with heavy for caliber loads. Usually, but not always. But as far as just prepping the barrel you don't want a single molecule of copper left behind.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I second the castboolits idea!!! Here is the link http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

Read and enjoy, great stuff there.
Je suis Charlie
Mike 56
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Mike 56 »

Thanks Guys, I have done a lot of reading and found a easy and cheap way to remove copper fouling. For most of my gun cleaning i use Ed's Red home made gun cleaner. It does a great job cleaning cleaning guns, looseing rusted bolts, displaceing water after cleaning black powder guns and it cheap to make. But it does not clean copper fouling. I found this web page on home made gun cleaning stuff. http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Copper So i went to Ace hardware and bought a quart of Janitorial Strangth 10% Ammonia for 3.00. Man did this stuff work. I used a plastic jag and a plastic bore brush it took no time at all to remove the copper.
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

OK, I am clueless. Why can't you use brass rod tips?
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Mike 56
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Mike 56 »

Ammonia will attack the brass and will turn your patches blue making you think you stall have copper fouling in your barrel.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I collect WWII rifles and handguns. Most of them are seriously fouled by the time I get my paws on them. Before I get to aggressive but after a good cleaning I load up some cast bullets and see how they shoot and how the barrel looks after shooting. Once in awhile even that old dark ugly looking tube doesn't need more scrubbing/chemicals. It doesn't hurt to shoot it and see if more work is necessary. Sometimes the Foul Out II is required.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

Mike 56 wrote:Ammonia will attack the brass and will turn your patches blue making you think you stall have copper fouling in your barrel.
Thanks Mike. The only two rifles I still shoot jacketed in I have plastic jags for. I can use them if the Butch's or Kroil won't get 'em clean.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Rooster59 wrote:....... I have plastic jags for......
Where did you get your plastic Jags? I got Tipton's nickle plated jags and was very disappointed when the plated nickle flaked off.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Mike 56
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Mike 56 »

When i am at gun shows when i find plastic jags cheap i buy them. Big 5 Sporting goods sells plastic bore brushes. Worn 22 cal bore brushes work for 30 cal jags. I don't have a lot of money i try to cut corners were i can so i can buy more primers and powder. I was using Hopes Elite gun cleaner to remove copper it works pretty good. 10% ammonia works a lot better a 3.00 bottle will last me the rest of my life and that is with me searing with friends. I have been using Ed's Red home made gun cleaner for years. It is good stuff. After shooting cast bullets i push one dry patch though the barrel followed by a patch wet with Ed's red that's it. The next time i shoot two dry patches and i am ready to shoot. Ed's Red also works great for displacing water after cleaning black powder guns. I use Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil for gun oil after i change my oil in my truck i hold back a few small bottles for my guns.

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”