Lee quick Trim 8mm set

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Lee quick Trim 8mm set

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Just ordered the value quick trim and 8mm trim die from Titan . Fast delivery and well-packed. Trim die was easy to set up on the press and hand crank also. I had resized 30-06 to 8mm but had not resized any. Took about 200 turns to do the job but if I had cut the excess off with a Drrmel it would be fast. I also have the regular Lee trim kit and that would be faster if I used it with variable speed drill chucked up in the shell holder. Also have 7.7 jap. Going to see if I can use same setup for it also.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Lee quick Trim 8mm set

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Only problem is all the chips end up going into the shell. It is like pulling steel wool out-one continuous long strand. I don't want to shoot it out! I added a little #85-90 gear oil and cutter works better probably cooler. I'd probably use cutting lube if I had any. I'm cutting about 1/4" off these shells.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I hope I'm not left waiting forever but I really hope they offer a drill chuck option for this one as well. I love the all in one trimming, chamfering, and deburring, but doing the pile of .223 cases has me right back to using the WFT trimmer again and processing through it in batches.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Yes ,I also tried doing the 8mm using lee sizer rod and chucking up the shell in a var speed drill and holing the cutter in other hand, much faster and got fine chips in sink rather than "brass steel wool "in case. But definitely requires another chamfering op. plus I don't get Popeyes arms from operating the crank, ha ha.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I had a thought recently that when I process the next .223 batch I will be using the Lyman M die for aid in seating the bullets. Many poo-poo this die as an answer in search of a question, blah, blah, blah... Whatever... I'm betting that once the cases are processed for everything I can't do with auto indexing (FL size, cleaned, trimmed, and then cleaned) I can now skip the chamfer and deburring since the M-die will allow the bullets to drop about that 1mm or so into the case neck holding it straight instead of those little flat bottom pills falling over all the time and me pinching a finger in the seating die trying to hold them just right. That would save all the time from having to do two steps in processing the pile before it can go to the Classic Turret for actual loading. Darn the luck that means I have to burn through some AR plinking ammo.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”