Oh Boy, Gonna Get Busy With the Lee Slugs

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scattergun; be it buckshot, shot, or slugs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Oh Boy, Gonna Get Busy With the Lee Slugs

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman and others you know you want this beauty so you can play too! Best price I have seen and it includes the base and rings. I'd buy it if I didn't already have one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/787142287
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:horseman and others you know you want this beauty so you can play too! Best price I have seen and it includes the base and rings. I'd buy it if I didn't already have one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/787142287

That's one of the Marlins I alluded to earlier. Notice the part about "shot very little", I believe I know why :lol: I remember the part of one of your posts that mentioned "my cheek hurt"....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Seems like a good price.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Seems like a good price.
It is a very good price and looks like a very clean "rifle."

I shot a third round yesterday; it did okay but not impressive enough for me to continue. Instead, I will wait for the two orders of components that are being shipped from Ballistic Products Inc. which include column wads that are specifically listed in the load recipes.

I did put together three rounds with International but did not have the listed column wad. It shot as well as the HS6, but the barrel was clean as a whistle, not like the HS6. The latter leaves the barrel "greasy" with burnt and unburnt powder granules. So when I start again, I will work with the International.

In the meantime, I will sight the Slugmaster in with the Lightfield ammo.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm going to start cleaning up my benches and room today, shotgun stuff everywhere! No sense in going any further without the components on order. I got caught up with my record keeping, and the shooting I've done with the 1-ounce slug; the Federal 12S3 with the petals trimmed back .3" and 40-grains of HS6 have left me with an average 3-shot group of 4.6" vs. a 1.6" with the Lightfield ammo. That's a no-brainer for how to continue and the next bit of load work is going to need to get real good real quick.

If I were younger and still in the mold business, I would offer a replacement core pin for the 1-ounce slug mold. This replacement pin would have a slightly shorter nose and greater diameter at the skirt. The changes would move the center of gravity further forward. When placed on a flat surface, this slug would roll over on its nose as does the 7/8-ounce slug. I also bet that I could bring to market a column wad that fit the drive key and had a petal length that matched the ogive of each slug.

I guess I will go clean my room as I need to get back on my SMLE scout and 30-30 AI, deer season is here.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

FedEx brought my next order which contained Claybusters SW250-12 Slug Wad. Very disappointed once opened as it is a replacement for the WAA12F114 which is a 1 1/8 ounce cup. Had Ballistic Precision used an image of the package label I wouldn't have bought them as the cup is way too deep for the Lee slug. Even It takes three Nitro cards to get the slug to the proper height.

In that, I waited this long I used 26.0-grains of International. It shot terrible. You can see the wad is missing all the pedals and the gas seal is damaged. I loaded up four and two didn't reach the backstop. I have no idea where they went. It sure made a mess of the barrel, it was really leaded up. I remain convinced that the slug nose must be clear of the cup petals.

Next up is the 078 Lightning and PT1205 wads (7/8 ounce cup). That should be in a day or two. Hopefully, that will do it as I'm not feeling like buying any more components. I'm not sure what I will do with the components that haven't worked out, boy oh boy, I have a bunch of them. I could have bought about 150 rounds of the Lightfield Elite for what I have in this loading effort.
Michael
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

Well that's not good.Why call it a slug wad then say to use shot data?
Thanks for the report anyway.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

jdl447 wrote:Well that's not good.Why call it a slug wad then say to use shot data?
Thanks for the report anyway.

I believe what they mean by using "shot data" is to use the same recipe for a given weight whether slug or shot. Does that make sense? Treat shot or slug the same as to weight? Any better?..... :geek:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:I believe what they mean by using "shot data" is to use the same recipe for a given weight whether slug or shot. Does that make sense? Treat shot or slug the same as to weight? Any better?..... :geek:
That's the way I see it, lead is lead, but I'm not sure why they called it a slug wad.[hr][hr]While I wait for the next BPI order, I decided to take my Slugmaster down and clean it. I'm just about done working on the stock, there was a lot of forend pressure against the barrel. I'm treating it just like a rifle. Going back out to put it together now. I also changed the scope out from a Banner 1.5-4.5x32 to a Weaver 1-3X22. The area where the Banner's tube flares out for the exit bell was catching the very forward edge of an ejecting hull and flipping it back into the action. The straight tube of the Weaver seems to have corrected that.[hr][hr]I also sent Lightfield a message concerning 2/34" shells in a 3" chamber. I haven't heard back from them yet.

"I'm shooting a Marlin 512 SlugMaster that is a 12 Gauge with a 3" chamber but was cursed with a magazine that can't quite handle a 3" hull (a known problem with the 512). Your Hybred Elite 3″ 12 ga, fed single shot shoots into a single hole at 50 yards. I just ordered a bunch of boxes of the same ammo from Buds, but in 2 3/4" to allow magazine feed, but started wondering if that 1/4" of freebore I've induced with the shorter hull presents any consideration?"
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

This issue has given me several enjoyable hours of internet browsing. Quite an education.

Return to “Shotgun Reloading”