Caliber changes with Load Master

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Sincity
My Press Choice: Turret

Caliber changes with Load Master

Post by Sincity »

I am going back and forth between the Classic Turret and Load Master. Have been reading a lot of negative things about the Load Master but enticed by the price. How much is involved in changing calibers? I will be loading 9mm, .40, and .45. I understand, like the Turret, the best thing is to get additional turrets with the dies all set up. Is all that is needed is to swap out the turrets, plate, primer setup (for large primered .45) and adjust powder? Do I need to re-adjust the primer seating depth each time I change caliber or is it done once for all shells? Some people make it sound like It would be a long process.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Caliber changes with Load Master

Post by Ranch Dog »

Honestly, I've been a voice for one per cartridge being loaded but you should be able to switch out the turret and shell plate and pretty much keep going especially if the primer, case & bullet feeder are similar (if used). I've always based the decision to keep them on what was working based on the initial set up. I did take the press I was using for 380 Auto and switch to the 32 ACP. The switch was the same as an initial set up, which in effect it was, full of tinkering to get everything flowing correctly. The real test would be to take it back to 380 but I no longer have the turret set up with the dies.

I reload annually with these presses. Just one batch of 32 ACP, 9mm Luger, and 45 Auto. I have been thinking about adding a turret to each for 30 M1 Carbine (uses 32 ACP shell plate) and the 9mm Makarov (uses 9mm Luger shell plate). I would like to move the 380 Auto back to the press, that is a both a turret and a complete shell plate. Probably best to use the 9mm Luger press for it.
Michael
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Caliber changes with Load Master

Post by Steve »

On the Loadmaster, in decreasing order of amount loaded, 40 S&W, 380 Auto, 223 Remington, 30-06, 243 Win, and a small amount of 204 Ruger.

Change over only takes about 5 minutes for any caliber. The most that needs changed is: shell plate, primer feed, case slider, case feed. It really is pretty simple.

Initial setup and debugging goes well for some, poorly for others. Priming is the largest problem for most people. I prime off the press while inspecting cases, or inspect while priming, however you want to look at it. Doing it this way when it comes to loading the already primed cases The Loadmaster just runs perfect for me.

EDIT: I just noticed that I did not say you have to change the die turret when changing calibers. I have a turret for each caliber so dies need only be set once.

Return to “Progressive”