Dillon Super Swage 600--A Caveat

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
EdgeOfEden
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Dillon Super Swage 600--A Caveat

Post by EdgeOfEden »

Ranch Dog wrote:Swagging question, as you force the tool into the brass, where does the pressure flow/move the brass?
Well, if the crimp is not too hard as in my PMC XTAC cases, the swaging pin compresses the crimp causing it to flow back into the case head. It was very consistent on the Winchester brass, but I do think sorting the brass by manufacturer might be helpful if you are wanting the most consistent results.

When the time comes, however, for me to reload 6.5 Creedmoor for a bolt action, I will likely ream those cases.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Doing this on my phone using HTML of my own so hopefully it'll post correctly ....
Ranch Dog wrote:For trimming and chamfering the brass I use the Lock Stud & Case Trimmer shell holder on a handle that matches the Lock Stud's hex.
On a handle? Please repeat. Also, my Lee case trimmer for 556 is wearing out ... won't hold the case tightly or with concentricity.
Ranch Dog wrote:Swagging question, as you force the tool into the brass, where does the pressure flow/move the brass
I suspect some "comes out the bottom". Could explain why my stud and holder won't hold the cases well throughout the trimming process. I peened the case holder "back down tighter" with a brass punch but I think it's worn out. Or possibly there's a little brass hanging out of the bottom around the pocket that gets crushed on first tightening then allows the stud to loosen...?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Doing this on my phone using HTML of my own so hopefully it'll post correctly ....
Ranch Dog wrote:For trimming and chamfering the brass I use the Lock Stud & Case Trimmer shell holder on a handle that matches the Lock Stud's hex.
On a handle? Please repeat.
See the black tool handle in the photo. Lock Stud is in it and the trimmer shell holder is threaded on to it.
GasGuzzler wrote:Also, my Lee case trimmer for 556 is wearing out ... won't hold the case tightly or with concentricity.
Are you describing the case trimmer shell holder or the trimmer itself? Either way might have to buy a new one. What kind of brass have you been using it with, 223 Rem or 5.56x45? I wonder if that makes a difference?
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

The cutter still cuts. The length gauge seems worn. I unthreaded it and spread the threaded fingers and reinstalled it hoping for it to be tighter. It kinda is. What seems worn is the shell holder with female threads. I think it's why the LC5.56 cases spin out. I peened the "blades" of the shell holder with a brass punch and it seemed to work well for about 12 more cases then started spitting the cases out again or at least letting them walk off center causing wobble.

I'm sure it's been answered but Lyman says that thing doesn't trim so once again, how does the Lee cutter and length gauge attach to the machine and do you tighten the shell holder and lock stud in your custom handle.....by hand?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It's back to the picture I posted.

Lee's #90468 provides a cutter that will tread into the Prep Center's ports. Yep, I hand tighten the threaded shell holder on to the Lock Stud.

Have you tried to "rough" up the flat surface of the Lock Stud (also included in #90468)? Maybe the new stud in the packaging would work better.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:Have you tried to "rough" up the flat surface of the Lock Stud..?
Nope. That is my next move. The inside of the shell holder has shiny witness marks where it grabs the rim so I bet the holder is worn out but I'll try your idea next.

I didn't comment on the other parts of your response because it makes plain sense. I'd hate to buy that high dollar Lyman machine just to trim but I would get use of the uniformers too. This LC5.56 brass lot project is approaching two years!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I wonder if it is the Lake City brass. Does the brass rotate freely on the trimmer shank? Another question, is this new brass or pulled brass?
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote: Does the brass rotate freely on the trimmer shank?
Seems to. I've dry media tumbled it all (so it's clean but not shiny), RCBS swaged the primer pockets, and resized it so far.
Ranch Dog wrote: Another question, is this new brass or pulled brass?
Neither? I bought it in bulk and if I were to guess I'd say it's once fired from a military range.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The reason I ask is that I found similar discussions on the web concerning the prep of LC surplus brass. From what I could gather it comes down to the chemical solutions used, it varies a bit, that cleans the cases and in the case of pulled cases, renders the primer unusable. The solution does something to the brass as well, hardening and making it tough to work with. Maybe tough brass is the cause, and tough brass is not malleable enough to be secured in the lock stud. Just spitballing here.

The only way to see which way this is going to go, brass or shellholder issue, is to get another shellholder. I don't have a #17 or I would send it to you to try.

When this is figured out, I will split the specifics into a standalone topic.
Michael

Return to “All Other Tools”