Dillon Super Swage 600--A Caveat

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
EdgeOfEden
My Press Choice: Progressive

Dillon Super Swage 600--A Caveat

Post by EdgeOfEden »

A while back and before joining this group, I had purchased a 1000 PMC X-TAC cartridges. Over last summer I'd shot not quite half of them. I was anxious to try reloading them, but I knew there would be quite a bit of case prep at the start. Since I'm starting to get arthritis in my hands, I was looking for the easiest way to remove the crimps. I had read such positive reviews about the Dillon Super Swage 600 and how much faster it would make that part of case prep that I decided to buy one.

It was easy to set up and I swaged about 150 Winchester and Remington brass cases that were my son's. Wow! Easy peesy. Couldn't have been faster or easier. I also used Ballistic Tools Swage Gage to quickly verify my output.

I then proceeded to swage what was going to be about 350 brass of my PMC X-TAC cases with 650 more remaining. Uh Oh. What's wrong? I readjusted the Super Swage at least 7 times and the results were the same. By the time I adjusted the locator to a point where the Swage Gage would insert into the primer pocket, the web/primer pocket bed was warped and the gage could not be fully inserted to the proper depth. I tried uniforming the pocket and then installing a genuine primer--nope wouldn’t seat all the way.

I finally contacted Dillon Support and explained in even greater detail what was happening. Their response can be seen below. I followed their advice and reaming, yes, reaming the primer pockets worked great--a bit slower, but the results were quite good. I don't think I'll be buying PMC 5.56 cartridges anymore or if I do, I won't be able to use the Dillon Super Swage 600 to remove the crimps. If only I had known earlier. While I do like the Dillon Super Swage 600, as it turns out it is not the end all be all for all brands of .223/5.56 cases. But then I bet some of you here could have told me that had I already been a member. :)
Dillon Super Swage 600 Response.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dillon Super Swage 600--A Caveat

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sorry man. Sitting here at my Lyman Prep Center reaming and uniforming 9mm Luger pockets while my dogs and I listen to music. 100° outside, 72° in the reloading room, no-brainer for us.
Michael
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

:lol: Ranch Dog, your response didn't feel like you were really feeling my pain. :cry:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

EdgeOfEden wrote::lol: Ranch Dog, your response didn't feel like you were really feeling my pain. :cry:
I am Brother, I am. I have arthritis in my developing in my hands. Notice the Aspercreme with Lidocaine that I keep on my brass conditioning bench. I use it before I start working with any brass!

IMHO, MagTech is bad brass, and this is from factory ammo that I shoot. Ugh, pockets are awful, and I know that if this stuff hits the Load-Master, it will be nothing but trouble. Still, nothing better to do than get it right as it will not be a problem in future cycles.

I'm don't shoot range brass anymore, and find the best pockets are Starline (S-L) and Privi Partisan (PPU). Both go through the reamer, for beveling, and uniforming pronto and without effort.

This is no joke, but since I started doing the reaming/uniforming, the joints in my fingers have gotten better with this constant exercise. I mean that. I have a constant lineup of brass waiting for this first, one-time work so anytime I've got a few minutes, I jump on it. Honestly, I do a little to a lot every day, and my joints aren't bulging as they had been.
Michael
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

Well now. If you are not full of surprises. I see Aspercreme with Lidocaine on my bench in the very near future. Thanks for the tip. ;)
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

I use the RCBS swager. It works well on both .5.56 and 7.62.
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

Hey, Macd, I'm sure your swager works fine. I'd have said the same thing about mine until the PMC XTAC brass. Another acquaintance of mine told me certain brands of brass give his RCBS swager a problem as well. I can tell you I'm not investing any more money in swagers. What the Dillon Super Swage 600 can't handle is definitely getting reamed. Plus the reamed cases really did seem to come out perfect. It just took a little longer.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote: I have a constant lineup of brass waiting for this first, one-time work so anytime I've got a few minutes, I jump on it.
Remind me how you hold the brass. I'm still working through a 1200 +/- round batch of military LC556 brass that has already been swadged with the RCBS tool (might uniform later), resized, and now I'm in the trim process. I have been spinning the brass instead of the tool. The 3-jaw is useless for my needs so once again show me how you're doing it. A link would be fine.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote: I have a constant lineup of brass waiting for this first, one-time work so anytime I've got a few minutes, I jump on it.
Remind me how you hold the brass. I'm still working through a 1200 +/- round batch of military LC556 brass that has already been swadged with the RCBS tool (might uniform later), resized, and now I'm in the trim process. I have been spinning the brass instead of the tool. The 3-jaw is useless for my needs so once again show me how you're doing it. A link would be fine.

As far as the primer pockets go, I hold them down on the reamer and uniformer with my finger. Those tools are left of center on the Prep Center. For trimming and chamfering the brass I use the Lock Stud & Case Trimmer shell holder on a handle that matches the Lock Stud's hex. I bought the #90468 tools. I've tried the 3 Jaw Chuck. It fitted right up there with the Zip trim, both did not fit any of my needs.
Ranch Dog wrote:IMHO, MagTech is bad brass, and this is from factory ammo that I shoot. Ugh, pockets are awful, and I know that if this stuff hits the Load-Master, it will be nothing but trouble. Still, nothing better to do than get it right as it will not be a problem in future cycles.

I'm don't shoot range brass anymore, and find the best pockets are Starline (S-L) and Privi Partisan (PPU). Both go through the reamer, for beveling, and uniforming pronto and without effort.
I wanted to clarify my statement about the MagTech brass (CBC) I'm working on, it is from ammunition I shot. Not their premium ammo, just run of the mill. I suspect the minimum amount of prep is done to it. I do have MagTech component brass for 25, 32, and 380 Auto and the primer pockets are very nice. Just zip, zip...
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

EOE... I've become ambidextrous as well. In the past, I would not have been able to use my left hand for this work, but I pressed on through the pain bit by bit. Now, with Aspercreme in place on both knuckles, I use both my hands. I rotate the Center with the pocket tools in front of me and work two pieces of brass at the same time, switching positions with my hands (not the brass) to complete the pockets. I cannot do that with this CBC brass as the pocket is on the small side and I don't like the load the prep center with the two operations at once.

Swagging question, as you force the tool into the brass, where does the pressure flow/move the brass?
Michael

Return to “All Other Tools”