The forum's been slow so tell me if I'm wrong (or right).

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
ROSW
My Press Choice: Turret

The forum's been slow so tell me if I'm wrong (or right).

Post by ROSW »

I've got the hots for a Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm compact. I was perfectly happy with the pistols I have until my son-in-law asked me to help him select a 40S&W compact for concealed carry in Texas. Oh, and he wants one with a thumb safety. We've looked at the M&P40c and the SR40c but when I learned about the Taurus 24/7 with a decocker it seemed much more reasonable than a thumb safety. I've found a few other striker fired pistols with decockers (S&W and Walther) but they are even more difficult to find and cost quite a bit more. The main issue I've heard about with the 24/7 is a gritty trigger but understand if I don't want to push 1000+ rounds through it to smooth it out, it can be cleaned up with a little judicious polishing.

All that said, am I completely crazy even considering this gun?

Oh, my son-in-law is still looking.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: The forum's been slow so tell me if I'm wrong (or right)

Post by 62chevy »

Ya the site has been a little slow this last week but it might have something to do with deer season starting soon.

As far as the Taurus go that's up to you, never owned one or even shot one so don't want to be an internet Judge.
Je suis Charlie
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

I vote SR40c. I love my SR40, just a great gun. You can pick either up used for around $350. American made, great customer service, thin profile for ccw. Slide sits low on top of yr hand to reduce muzzle flip. Thin grips for sausage fingers like mine. Rail for lights and lasers. Trigger isn't wonderful, but is fine for carry. My only other semi-auto handgun is a 1911 so I like the thumb safety. Just a great package.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I only have two serious issues with Taurus.

The first one had been beat to death in many places to I won't belabor it too much but Taurus doesn't supply many spare parts. If you need a small part then the gun 99% of the time has to go back. The S&W M&P may not be your favorite choice but they at least do a decent job with parts support.

The second one is that Taurus just can't keep making the same gun for very long. They have been making the PT92 series guns for a while and that's the only rub in what I'm saying. It just irks me that they have so many discontinued models that look red hot and next year they are replaced. And all those models mag's are not so easy to find. That being said, if you want a good solid crazy reliable Taurus pistol then buy one of the PT92 series guns and you won't be disappointed. But they don't make a compact .40 in that series (for shame) so that's no help to you. I have the M&P 40c and love it. Mags aren't that hard to find and there are parts galore for it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

ROSW wrote:I've got the hots for a Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm compact. I was perfectly happy with the pistols I have until my son-in-law asked me to help him select a 40S&W compact for concealed carry in Texas. [snip]

All that said, am I completely crazy even considering this gun?

Oh, my son-in-law is still looking.
I don't think you crazy at all. I made the mistake of picking up a Taurus one day while searching for something to replace a Glock 36, and I ended really going nuts. That direct replacement came in the form of a Millenium Pro PT745, a polymer single stack 45 ACP but I ended up with a bunch of them. Here are only some of them.

When I was in the mold business, I decided to use the Taurus as a "target" firearm for my designs in that they had everything from 25 ACP and up.

I am really stuck on that PT745 but carry them all, including others not in the picture, on a rotation daily. I do like the Mil Pro series but that model line, the third generation pistols, was brought to a close with the 2012 catalog year. In its place is pistol that has evolved from the MIl Pro and 24/7. The fellows shooting it over on TaurusArmed.net seem to like it as much as I like the MilPro. I like my PT745 so much that when I saw that it was not going to be cataloged in 2013, I immediately bought another and placed it in long term storage should my original ever wear out.

My Taurus "experience" started out as simply looking for "test mules" for a series of like manufactured handguns across a wide range of cartridges and I ended up really liking what I was shooting. I like Taurus as a business, they have handled everything that I've needed. I've had five warranty claims and they have all been handled quickly and to my satisfaction. Five might sound like a lot but given the number of their handguns I own, it is very little. Two of the five would have not been caught by the average shooter as they involved small stuff I found from chamber impressions taken in support of my cast bullet business. In the course of my ownership, I have sent approximately 37K rounds out these barrels!

As a retail consumer there have been two areas with Taurus that I was not happy with but since Mr. Kressner has taken over, they are being cured. The first was the number of models constantly changing, many not ever making it into customer hands. They would introduce a model, cataloging it for several years, and then drop it. The 92, 1911, Millenium Pro, and TCP have been constants but the others not. Mr. Kressner has brought this to an end and their models have become stable.

The second issue was spare parts. In 2012, they adopted a very restricted policy, but after seeing the dissatisfaction it brought on, have started to do something about it. There is much said about this on Taurus Armed.net and it is a forum that Taurus listens to. Mr. Kressner issued a statement a month ago on TA concerning what he was going to do to make parts available and he is doing it. I suspect that by this time next year or earlier, parts except for frames, will be bought online without customer service contact.

So no, I don't think you are crazy in the least.
Michael
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

Ditto on the discontinued models. I got the hots for a five shot revolver in 9mm after the NRA show here a couple years ago. By the time I made the buy decision it was discontinued.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
ROSW

Post by ROSW »

This past week I finally had the opportunity to fondle (err handle) a PT24/7 G2 and while I really wanted to like it, I found the grip to be so close to vertical that my finger rubbed on the bottom of the frame and I couldn't centered it on the trigger. Tried both the compact and the full size with the same results. Don't have this problem with my M&P40, my XD9 or my son's Glock. Anyone else experienced this problem? Tried this in the showroom not on the range. I really would like to like this gun. Any suggestions?

In the mean time I started looking at the TP9, the CZ999 and the SP2022 (and maybe the Sting Ray-C).

Comments & suggestions welcome.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Don't know if you are into military (old) pistol but have you ever looked at Er fondled a cz52? Once you do it can become an obsession. I had a friend that was shooting his 357 at a sign. I pulled out my cz 52 and rattled off several and startled-he said what type hand cannon was that ? It is quite the monster in Sheeps'clothing.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I used to want one of those. They are supposed to be much better than the Russian Tokarev pistols. I won't swear to it but you are supposed to be able to use the SMG ammo in the CZ52 while the regular Tok won't take the abuse.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Yes it has roller locking mechanism and barrel and slide can be removed in seconds. Hard to find ammo for it but it can be hand-loaded to over 1700 fps per accurate arms techie.
It has best feel)(angle). Once you pick it up, it is hard to put it down.

Return to “Topic Bucket”