Do you wear a respirator?

Tools that represent the "odds and ends" of bullet casting.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Do you wear a respirator?

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

Hello all,

I am gearing up for casting and I am wondering if any or most of you use a respirator when you cast. As I prepare to make ingots from scrap, I remember my first session when i had no respirator and the fumes were pretty nasty. So, I am planning on buying a respirator and the correct cartridges after payday. I am wondering what you guys do. Thanks for your input. Please chime in.

Stay Safe,

Johnny
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Do you wear a respirator?

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't. I cast under a carport on my barn and set up as the breeze dictates. Thatis also why I flux with cedar shavings. If I'm smelling the cedar, something is wrong, so I adjust. That plus the smoke the shavings produce.
Michael
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

I cast in the garage with the entry door open, the walk through door open. Both doors oppose each other and a small desk fan nearby moving the air away.
I also flux with cedar saw dust or juniper saw dust. No need for a respirator IMHO.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

Nope. If you are concerned, before you start, see your Doc. Have blood drawn and lead levels checked. Don't let them spook you. Kid levels are ~<5. Adult is ~~<11. Mine has been 6-7 over past 6 years (and I just figured out that is PROBABLY more related to a 24% lead crystal decanter I use for my bourbon than it is casting/shooting lead!) Will give you a baseline #. Then have it checked at 6 mo. If it spikes, you need to look at your procedures. Then (as I do) get it checked for annual physical.
GRV01
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by GRV01 »

oscarflytyer wrote:Nope. If you are concerned, before you start, see your Doc. Have blood drawn and lead levels checked. Don't let them spook you. Kid levels are ~<5. Adult is ~~<11. Mine has been 6-7 over past 6 years (and I just figured out that is PROBABLY more related to a 24% lead crystal decanter I use for my bourbon than it is casting/shooting lead!) Will give you a baseline #. Then have it checked at 6 mo. If it spikes, you need to look at your procedures. Then (as I do) get it checked for annual physical.
Great advice. Didnt even realize that could be done
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

GRV01 wrote:
oscarflytyer wrote:Nope. If you are concerned, before you start, see your Doc. Have blood drawn and lead levels checked. Don't let them spook you. Kid levels are ~<5. Adult is ~~<11. Mine has been 6-7 over past 6 years (and I just figured out that is PROBABLY more related to a 24% lead crystal decanter I use for my bourbon than it is casting/shooting lead!) Will give you a baseline #. Then have it checked at 6 mo. If it spikes, you need to look at your procedures. Then (as I do) get it checked for annual physical.
Great advice. Didnt even realize that could be done
I do mine with my blood work for the other meds I use. Just ask your doctor to include the "lead panel". Mine comes back at the absolute bottom.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I don't. I cast indoors in my small shop 12'x18'inside. I open one window and crack the door. I use a 6" fan to blow the smoke out the door. I have been doing my casting like this for quite a while and my annual blood tests, a requirement from my employer and done every year since retirement, usually show lead levels under 7 or 8. The only "problem" when home casting is the smoke, not lead vapors as for lead to vaporize it must be much hotter than home casting pots can produce (1,000 degrees?).

If you want to, fine, go ahead. I have been casting for only 20+ years and I'm sure there are fellers here that have been casting much longer, but I have not met anyone with elevated lead levels from casting bullets or sinkers, and the only person I knew with high heavy metal levels was a welder that often welded on School Bus Yellow painted parts. (I read about a guy the cast bullets every day, for income, and after 20 years reportedly had high lead levels).
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Taking normal precautions like ensuring adequate ventilation, keeping melt temperatures within parameters, using safe fluxes and avoiding hovering over the pot is my routine. Dispose of dross (skimmings) safely and avoid the dust they leave. This is primarily lead oxide and is particularly toxic. I melt wheel weights outside and stay downwind as these also contain arsenic and antimony. I use gloves and a dust mask when I sort the weights as they are generally covered in dust and dirt. My indoor casting station is enclosed and fan ventilated to the outside. Hygiene is important so washing hands avoiding contamination of food and drink is a must.
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

As RD said, request the lead panel. Also make sure they get the odd blue colored tube top for lead (there are 3 diff close colors!)! And expect a few odd looks/questions. If you don't want to be bothered to explain why, just say you handle lead at work!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

My level got pretty high .......12 I think .
I was layed off for about 5 months 2yr back to back I dropped to a 6 and doubled the amount of casting , loading and shooting I was doing . Turns out my levels were caused by all of lead based oxidized OD green paint I was in 3 hr a day contact with 4 days a week . Took away the OD green paint lead levels dropped .

If you're getting the lead hot enough to vaporize or fume it's WAY TOO hot to cast .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Accessories and Other Tools”