The little red box that started it all!
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

question about adjusting bullet seater tool

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Hey there, Lee Loaders!

I'm wondering how you guys who use these pistol or rifle kits determine proper bullet seating adjustments on the Classic kits. I don't want to seem foolish, or a complete idiot, but I want to understand if my attempts at reloading .38 Special and .357 are correct.

If I use the load data dimensions for overall length with a particular bullet, for example, I am working with Badman Bullets 125grn RNFP poly-coated lead bullets, what is the method for determining my wheel adjustment on the seating tool?
https://goo.gl/JUN2un
Sorry if this is easier than I'm making things and just haven't figured it out myself!

Thanks.

Adam
Last edited by alphalimafoxtrot on 25 Nov 2017 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter

Re: question about adjusting bullet seater tool

Alright,
I think I answered my own question. I re-read the load data sheet that Badman Bullets sent me for my specific bullet/powder combinations, and got my cartridge OAL info. Then, I just double-checked my prior reloads to make sure I was where I was supposed to be, and it was spot-on - 1.351 for my .38 Specials, and 1.496 for my .357's. I just took my own reloads, put them back in the die, and manually checked my wheel adjustment. All is fine. I seated everything properly, no worries.

I guess I'm just asking a dumb question first thing in the morning!

Back to your usual programming, and happy belated Thanksgiving all!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Adam:
I make a dummy "Setting" cartridge for every bullet I use. I seat the bullet in an empty deprimed case at the seating depth I require and once satisfied I use a heavy crimp to hold it.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter

Macd wrote:Adam:
I make a dummy "Setting" cartridge for every bullet I use. I seat the bullet in an empty deprimed case at the seating depth I require and once satisfied I use a heavy crimp to hold it.
Yep, I did that exact same thing. This morning, I made a bunch of measurement double-checks to be absolutely certain and I guess I must have needed some assurance before proceeding!
Appreciate your info, Macd!

Adam
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Macd wrote:Adam:
Yep, same here..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have some made up too. Don't forget to be organized. You'll want to label the dummy because you might end up with more than one per caliber. You'll also want to proof the loads before deciding whether to keep the dummy.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have some made up too. Don't forget to be organized. You'll want to label the dummy because you might end up with more than one per caliber. You'll also want to proof the loads before deciding whether to keep the dummy.
Yup organized is the name of the game although I did mix up the "dummies" between two rifles of the same calibre but I did use rifle labels.
DSC00781.JPG
Just a note that my dummies are set for the longest OAL for that calibre, bullet and rifle. I base this upon a minimum setback from engagement with the lands or maximum magazine length whichever is shorter. The amount of setback varies by calibre and bullet type and sometimes brand. I use setback for all jacketed rifle bullets but for my own cast lead I put the bullet right on the lands if the bullet length and magazine will let me. If I want a shorter OAL than the "safe OAL" dummy I can adjust the seating stem accordingly. My experience is that all bullets have a slight variance in diameter along their length, some brands/types having more variation than others. This makes exact OAL setting difficult if not impossible with a simple die and without selecting the bullets from a batch that are the most consistent in size and shape. To illustrate this for the purposes of this reply, I took 10 bullets out of a box of Hornady Match 168 grain .308 HPBT's and measured their full lengths and then their comparator lengths. Greatest length variation was .003 from shortest to longest. Comparator length variation was a similar .0035. Their was no apparent relationship between full length and comparator length variance. Comparator length is the most important as this determines jump to the lands. Variation in comparator length also affects the seating stem setting as most stems contact and act on the side of the bullet above the ogive point. As with the comparator gauge, variations in diameter at this point of contact result in a variation in seating depth. I haven't seen this to have much affect on accuracy but I am not a benchrest shooter just a powder junky with too much spare time on my hands :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nice, thanks.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I cast 90% of what I shoot. I have several "custom" seating stems. (custom made using extra seating stems and epoxy or hot glue.) Because I have at least 3 different molds for every rifle and handgun I just spend a few minutes doing the adjustment require for the combination being seated. A old Brown & Sharpe dial caliper gets its workout every time. ;) Good notes for each gun and bullet combo helps with this process.

good notes pay off It's not a difficult task and keeps me off the streets. :roll:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice organization Macd and something I try to keep up with. As things work out, the one i need is the one among many that I don't have labeled!
Michael

Return to “Lee Loader®”