New SC & DC Mold Block Designs

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

New SC & DC Mold Block Designs

Post by Ranch Dog »

Over the last seven days I've cast with five of the new block designs and really like the ability to pull the mold completely apart like a six cavity block. I do this to clean the mold both before and after the casting session. I ended up storing the molds just as they are broken down here. This is a Slug mold.
new_dc_mold.jpg
I use a very small touch of Anti-Seize on the screw threads of the sprue plate screw and and the mold block self tapping pins.

At the end of a session, I was the molds in hot water with liquid dish soap and then blow them dry with compressed air. Then, I given them a light coat of WD-40. I use the WD for its water displacement properties more than anything and the residue will readily wash off with soap and water before the next session.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: New SC & DC Mold Block Designs

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I thought they used pins to hold in the blocks. Will they not wear driving them out again and again??? I'm probably missing something here and about to be schooled... :?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I thought they used pins to hold in the blocks. Will they not wear driving them out again and again??? I'm probably missing something here and about to be schooled... :?

The new design uses an allen head self tapping screw. I have been pulling them on and off without issue. Be sure that you allen wrench is completely seated in the barrel of the screw head. I use anti-seize on the end of the threads, just a small amount applied with a toothpick.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I wonder how difficult it would be to tap them out for a regular machine screw. I've never done anything like that in aluminum and I'm not sure how the constant heating would react. The six cavity blocks have a pretty large thread pattern and I'm not sure if that is for expansion or not.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I wonder how difficult it would be to tap them out for a regular machine screw. I've never done anything like that in aluminum and I'm not sure how the constant heating would react. The six cavity blocks have a pretty large thread pattern and I'm not sure if that is for expansion or not.
I think these are about as perfect solution as I could imagine given the constraints of the blocks and handles. As I start them back into the blocks, I can feel them seek the threads that were previously cut. With just that touch of anti-seize, they slip in and out without stress on any of the contacts. I typically cast once a year but did use cast two of the five molds twice so far. I do not see any issue with the new design giving a lifetime of service, they have changed my opinion of the SC and DC molds!
Michael

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”