Tempilaq Thinner?

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Tempilaq Thinner?

Post by daboone »

Anybody know what Tempilaq Thinner is or a substitute? Both my 750 and 450 have turned to thick mud. I prefer not to avoid the wait of ordering and it look like the shipping is more than the actual Tempilaq thinner.

I want to set up the timing on the Annealeez to process M1 Carbine brass. It would be helpful to see just how far down the cases are being annealed on this short case.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Tempilaq Thinner?

Post by Fyodor »

I found the SDS for the thinner:
http://www.tempil.com/assets/1/31/Green ... 3_v1.0.pdf

It is a mixture of three main ingredients, but none of the SDS's of any paint thinner I found shows the same substances. On the other hand no two paint thinners share the same substances...

I would try what happens with a small drop of Tempilaq and regular paint thinner. And then decide to liquify all of it or not.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I use Tempilaq 750º & 350º with my annealing and using their thinner is just a fact of the annealing life. The thinner is not flammable which most common thinners are so I would bite the bullet and just get the real deal.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Thanks for this info. I'll check to see if a local source has it available before ordering today.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

The MSDS for the thinner shows it is about 95% n-Propyl Bromide with about 5% of a patented stabilizer.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

farmerjim wrote:The MSDS for the thinner shows it is about 95% n-Propyl Bromide with about 5% of a patented stabilizer.
What ever that is it ain't on my bench or in my bathroom. :lol: So I ordered some from Midway yesterday after reading RD's response. Amazon doesn't carry it except as a 3rd party sale. I called several local places Grangers and welding supply stores but to no avail.

Return to “All Other Tools”