Monoprice MP Select Mini 3D Printer V2

Reloading widgets!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Monoprice MP Select Mini 3D Printer V2

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, so far I'm not really digging the 3D printing. The printer looks cool but other than the test "Hello Kitty", it hasn't printed a thing. It can generate a "blob" but nothing recognizable.

I've used Cura & MatterControl to generate the .gcode file from the .stl file but the output from Cura produces nothing. MatterControl produced file printed the object that was the blob. I found examples of the printer settings to be used with the Monoprice for Cura but those settings are with older versions of the software and not the latest. The settings in the latest version are complex and the fields are not even titled the same. I haven't looked for the same with MatterControl because I'm about 40 hours into this so far, 40 hours that could have been spent working on guns or reloading, so this has run REAL THIN. I need to catch some catfish in my pond and I might use the Mini 3D for a weight as I've gotten rid of guns faster that didn't meet my expectations that cost 10X this.

Another disappointment is the time involved. My project is a downloaded copy of the lid for the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Cura tells me, if I can ever get it to print, that is will take a few minutes less than 7 hours to print! Are you %@*&$ %@*&$ me? Honestly, I'd rather get Lee to send me one for free.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Thanks for the review.

I'll pass.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Thanks for the review.

I'll pass.
Yeah, me too. It is boxed up and shoved back on a shelf in our conditioned storage here on the ranch. If any of my kids want it, I will give it to them. Wish I would have spent the money on a gun or scope.
Michael
jdl447
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by jdl447 »

7 hours yikes! I have seen guys machine injection molds in that much time.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

You know, I've not followed everything about the latest & greatest 3d printers and technology, however we do have a great STEAM (Sci/Tech/Engineering/Arts/Math) teacher at my school using one with his students.

His start with the printer was last year. He's a gun-nut like myself, who'd have thought in an elementary school? :lol:
Anyway, we also joked about making items for our gun interests as you can imagine - but the thing does work. I haven't seen much yet this year, the term just started, but now that you mention your effort Michael I'm planning on checking out what Bernie's 3D printer is capable of.

Course, I think he purchased it with money from a Donors Choose.org site, so I have no idea how much the thing cost.

Be well - stay dry, RD!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'd be interested in hearing what software he is using to generate the .gcode files and what his print settings are.

The way this thing works is that you generate the .gcode file with software, the printer does not have its own software, and save it to a MicroSD card. You can also send the file to the printer via Wifi, and I've tried that, or it can be read, via, a USB cable from a computer. This last is the least desirable method as it occupies the computer for the length of the print run.

Really the software is everything because it is generating the gcode file but I have yet to find one that actually supports the printer.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I woke up at five as I was going to spray weeds this morning at daylight but was met with dense fog. Decided to do more research on the printer and ended up downloading a trial package of Repetier-Host. A dated version of that software had been included with the printer on the MicroSD card along with printer setting instructions but I just didn't have any luck with the gcode file it generated. The "trial" version caused me not to download the latest version but a look into it is that it is just a minimum donation. The printer setup boxes on the new version were identical to sample in the documentation.

The hopper lid file generated was a lot smaller than any of the others generated with a print time of a little over an hour. Back to the storage room to pull the printer and take it back to the reloading room. Still dense fog. It is printing away and darn if it doesn't look real good!
Lee_hopper_lid.jpg
I might run out of filament before it is done. I have a lb of nylon but this printer doesn't support its use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah! My $200 hopper cap!
Lee_hopper_lid_02.jpg
I didn't have the filament to finish it but it got close otherwise the honeycombed underside would be solid.
Lee_hopper_lid_03.jpg
I see that the designer used a segmented circle on the inside of the outer groove diameter which should allow it to hold on to the hopper better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have a Lee ppm lid on thingiverse that depending on layer height and infill density should take about and hour. I use mater control and mater slicer with my robo r1+ tried curator didn't like it. Haven't tried the other that was included. I print mostly with plastic 210 degrees C and around 60 mm/sec.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I ordered three spools of PLA; red, white, and yellow so once that arrives I will be back in business. Repetier-Host definitely made a difference with the Select Mini 3D.

The only other material that I have is the Nylon Bridging which is not supported with the Mini. People are using it and I tried the lid but I'm seeing the main complaint with it aside of not sticking to the bed; the fibers come apart. It seems the best fix is to put a box over the unit while it prints to up the ambient temperature but I'm not good with that in that I typically will not be present while it runs.

From everything I've read PLA seems to be the material of choice vs. ABS especially for printing in a room like my reloading room.

O3W, could I get a link to your lid. Once the material arrives, I will give the mini a workout. I guess I just needed to find the right software to drive it. Comments are that the Mini is very sensitive to the quality of the MicroSD used and I've already experienced that. I copied the firmware update file to the supplied card and stuck it in the machine and it locked up good and tight. This was as soon as I got it out of the box. Took me about 3 to 4 hours on line to find the suggestion to copy the firmware file to a better card which I did. Once inserted, the firmware was updated in seconds. I even had the test cat print hang up on the original card and copied it to the PNY card and it took off immediately.

I got over being mad at the printer but that is on Monopice. The documentation is extremely weak and dated on this NIB printer.
Michael

Return to “3D Printing Projects”